Let my PLN journey begin!

I blog... Prior to undertaking this blog I did some research on what constitutes effective blogging.  Problogger identifies 10 Tips for writing an effective blog post. I will try to stick to their recommendations as much as possible.

Who?  My name is Stephanie Myers and I am enrolled in the MET Program at UBC. I am also an alternative high school teacher working in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.   Also, Diane Janes, my supervising faculty member, has generously agreed to support and guide me through this journey. I am incredibly fortunate to have along for the journey.

What? ETEC 580 is a course offered through the Master of Educational Technology (MET) Program at UBC. Although you won’t see it in the course offerings – it is available as a means of developing your own course while enrolled in the MET program. This blog constitutes part of my 580 course. Feel free to check out my full proposal below.

When? Summer Session, May 13-August 9, 2013.

Where? I have no idea where this journey will take me; I simply know that it will inevitably lead somewhere, as journeys always do.  My hope is at the end of week 13  I will have expanded and solidified my own PLN.

Why? As I near the end of my three years in the MET Program I recognize that I have had the incredible opportunity to connect, collaborate, and communicate with people from diverse fields of study, from around the globe. This connectedness has led to a radical transformation, not only in who I am as an educator and in my approach to teaching and learning but in my day-to-day teaching practice as well.

The world wide web and web 2.0 tools have become an integral part of my classroom and have enhanced the learning experiences for me and my students.It is because of the ongoing communication with my MET peers, readings, research, and projects, that I have grown and I do not want that growth to cease when I graduate from the MET program in August.

So, as I type this, I realize I have just thirteen weeks, 91 days, roughly 2180 hours, to create a meaningful and sustainable network, a network that will take me beyond the MET Program.

I hope you will join me!