Application Letter

Solomon Vandt
123 ABC Street
City, Province XXX XXX
January 13, 2015

ENGL 301: Technical Writing
The University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

SUBJECT: ENGL 301 Professional Writing Team

Dear fellow 301 students:

My name is Solomon Vandt, a fourth year Biochemistry Major with Co-op experience, and I am currently seeking a position on your professional writing team. I am excited to join a dynamic group of individuals and be a part of a symbiotic relationship making the most of the ENGL 301 experience.

During my Co-op terms at the BC Cancer Research Centre (BCCRC), I held the position of clinical trials assistant. My main duties include clinical sample processing, documentation, and shipment. Specifically, in this position, I dealt with an assortment of technical documents, including clinical trial protocol, a research report, and professional e-mail correspondence. While assisting in clinical trials, I also exhibited my strong interpersonal and communication skills by working well with my team, including the nurses and data coordinators of the clinic.

Furthermore, in my Co-op experience as a cell-licensing associate and research assistant at Applied Biological Materials (ABM), I gained valuable experience working with and generating technical writing. In the cell-licensing role, my goal was to inquire about the availability of cell lines that researches have developed over the course of their research. I initiated e-mail correspondence with institutions all around the world and was successful in negotiating licensing agreements. Generating business for ABM by communicating and negotiating effectively was significant in my growth as a technical writer.

In addition, my studies at UBC have also provided me with the necessary skills for a position within your team. Throughout my academic career I have become accustomed to generating technical documents in the form of laboratory notebooks, lab reports, and research reports. Furthermore, by critically analyzing research papers in my biochemistry training, I have strengthened my problem-solving abilities, analytical skills, and other critical thinking skills.

With regards to how I write, I prefer to take my time and write with lots of care. However, do I find that I often take much longer than necessary to produce documents in hindsight. Moreover, I strive to become a more efficient technical writer, which I believe can only occur through lots of practice.

In summary, my experience in working with and generating technical documents in the academia and in the workplace make me a valued addition to any writing team hoping to show great development of the course of ENGL 301. Should you have any questions or wish to discuss the prospects of forming a professional writing team, please do not hesitate to contact me at svandt@hotmail.com.

Kind regards,

Solomon Vandt

301 Solomon Vandt Application letter