Formal Report Proposal

Tasks:
  • Use a brainstorming process to formulate possible formal report topics.
  • Prepare a research proposal for a formal report directed at your report’s intended audience.
Introduction to Research Proposal:
I prepared a Research Proposal for improving patient experience at the BC Cancer Agency Vancouver Cancer Centre (BCCA-VCC) directed toward Ms. Lisa Kenyon (Regional Coordinator, Volunteer Services).  BCCA-VCC is located at 600 West 10th Avenue, Vancouver.
Summary of my Research Proposal:
  • Introduction: I express the mandate of BCCA Volunteer Services and suggest there is opportunity to further improve the patient experience for those living with cancer.  Also, I state that BCCA offers many support services to patients and that patients may be unaware or forgetful of these beneficial resources.
  • Area of Improvement (Statement of Problem): I suggest patients and volunteers could be better informed about the support services available at the Cancer Centre, which would improve the patient experience.
  • Proposed Solution: I suggest creating a new Roaming Cancer Centre Resources Expert Volunteer role and offering more training to other volunteers on resources and support services offered at the Cancer Centre.  The goal of this additional role and training is to keep patients well informed of the resources available to them, thus improving their experience.
  • Scope: I intend to pursue nine areas of inquiry relating to patient and volunteer knowledge of Cancer Centre resources and support services for patients.
  • Methods: I intend to use primary data sources (observation and surveys) and secondary data sources (BCCA and Canadian Cancer Society websites) in my research.
  • My Qualifications: I have been volunteering at BCCA-VCC in a patient support role since September 2014.  I am currently in a Shift-Lead role as well. I have worked two Co-op terms at the BC Cancer Research Centre as a Clinical Trials Assistant, which required me to work in the VCC.  I genuinely want to support patients living with cancer. In May of this year I will receive my B.S. in Biochemistry.
  • Conclusion: I reiterated the mission of BCCA and said that I could determine ways to further improve the patient experience.  I asked for permission to begin my research.

Here is a PDF file of my Formal Report Proposal: