Week 2 – de la Parra, “Mama Blanca’s Memoirs”

Teresa de la Parra’s Mama Blanca’s Memoirs was a pleasant read filled with feelings of childhood, memory, and nostalgia. Additionally, the book also fed thoughts on accuracy—and distortion—of representations, different perspectives within narratives, and the nature of storytelling. Lastly, Teresa de la Parra’s book provided an interesting—perhaps inaccurate, to an extent—depiction of the realities of a plantation farm in nineteenth-century Venezuela.

First of all, the foreword to the book gave me a lot of points to think about. As mentioned in the lecture content for this week, it stood out how the publication of Mama Blanca’s memoirs by the un-named editor was a “betrayal”. The editor and Mama Blanca seemed to have a very strong bond built upon trust, despite the significant age gap—the editor stated how Mama Blanca, in regards to age, was “a person who might have been my great-grandmother” (7). While the relationship seems unconventional based on people’s “judgement on outward appearances[,]” I thought the relationship between the editor and Mama Blanca was a precious relationship built upon kindness, love, and trust (7). To a certain extent, I can relate to this special type of relationship with an elder. I have somehow developed a very precious relationship with my middle school teacher and now we have a family-like relationship built upon sincerity, support, and mutual respect. Knowing how precious these types of relationships are, I wonder why the editor decided to publish Mama Blanca’s memoirs. Although Mama Blanca was dead by the time the editor published the memoirs, it was still breaking the trust that the former gave to the latter. Was there something about the memoirs—about Mama Blanca’s life—that made the editor feel compelled to publish it, despite that meant a “betrayal”?

Second, the fact that Mama Blanca was relatively privileged—being the daughter of the owner of a sugar plantation in Venezuela, part of an upper-class family—made me question the accuracy of her representation of the realities of sugar plantations in nineteenth-century Venezuela.  For Mama Blanca and her sister Evelyn, “the mill was a club, theater, city” (84). The mill “seemed heaven” to them, which is quite different than what we normally would imagine when thinking of a mill. While Mama Blanca knew that “[p]eople did not gather at the mill to amuse themselves[,]” she nevertheless depicted the mill as “full of life and color” (86). This representation of the mill as “heaven-like” seems to reflect more about Mama Blanca’s social class and privilege, rather than providing an accurate representation of the realities of the mill. On a wider perspective, this reminded me that a story is a form of representation and image construction that is heavily built upon the author’s point of view.

Question: Mama Blanca stated that she sometimes “demanded an ‘old story,’ but stipulating tyrannical changes that reflected the varying states or desires of [her] spirit” (32). Do you have any experiences of allowing your imagination and feelings to create new endings to stories?

4 thoughts on “Week 2 – de la Parra, “Mama Blanca’s Memoirs”

1. Jon

“This representation of the mill as “heaven-like” seems to reflect more about Mama Blanca’s social class and privilege.”

Indeed… how did the mill-workers, for instance, think of the mill? What are the advantages (and disadvantages) of the viewpoint from which Teresa de la Parra has chosen to depict the plantation?

2. AlizeySultan

Hi Daniel! I liked how you pointed out the the author’s betrayal to Mama Blanca, it was a significant detail that I had forgotten about. Thinking about it now it makes me view the story differently because now we’re reading stories that were never meant to be shared to such a big audience. It truly does make you wonder what the author was thinking when she brought it upon herself to break a promise to someone who meant so much to her.
    To answer your question, I can think back to many choices I made in the past and wonder if they were the right decision. I sometimes like to think back and wonder if I had chosen a different path, what would my life look like. Would I be better off or miserable? It’s nice to look back and wonder how our lives would have turned out but I try to be happy with the choices I made.

3. gillian marshall

Hi Daniel,

Your point on privilege within upper-class families and mill-workers was very interesting and brought up important differences in class inequalities, highlighting that it’s truly all about perspective. On one hand, the mill had been described as “heaven-like,” by Mama Blanca, while on the other hand, for some it may not have been heaven-like at all.

4. sophie boucher

Hi Daniel! I really liked your blog post, specifically how you pointed out the privileged perspective Blanca Nieves had about the plantation. Due to her status, she viewed it as a paradise, while the workers on the farm probably viewed it as something far less. It definitely made me read the story with a grain of salt, as the story only told one, very narrow, perspective. In regards to your question, I try not to think too hard about what I could’ve done with my own life, as I find it causes far more sadness than relief. But in terms of books or movies, I often try to imagine what I could’ve written to make them better.