Week nine- The Hour of the Star

This week I read “the Hour of the Star” by Clarice Lispector. This was an interesting read to say the least however I actually quite enjoyed the story and its unique writing style. I was excited to read this story because I saw it recommended in a video once, however, I was not prepared for the double story about “the girl from the North-East” and the narrator as it was only really explained to be a story about poverty. I will admit there were times (especially at the beginning) at which I was pretty confused and frustrated with the writing, wanting the narrator to get on with telling the story about Macabea, however, I kept reading as I found the approach interesting and started to become invested in both the girl and the narrator’s story. I felt as though the narrator’s input made the story seem as though we were reading the thoughts of the reader in a way, as we tend to put a reflection of our own lives or opinions of others into every story we read. This can be even further reflected in our daily lives, looking at how we may judge a person much by how they present themselves on the outside, much like how the narrator started the story only by describing the outer appearance and traits of the girl (e.g. “No one paid any attention to her on the street, for she was as appetizing as cold coffee”).

One theme that I found very interesting in this story was the theme of poverty. More specifically, I found it really important how they made the distinction between the narrator (Rodrigo) and Macabea. While Rodrigo is shown coming from a place of higher privilege, it is very clear that Macabea does not have much nor does she know about many things as “not knowing became an important factor of her life”. Despite this, Macabea seems to be content and happy with the little things, or the things that many others would take for granted. For example, commercials on the radio or television may be something that we don’t look forward to seeing (unless it’s the Super Bowl) and probably wouldn’t think twice about skipping. However Macabea “adored commercials” as it was a way to learn new things. There are multiple examples of this within the story, as it shows how Macabea is not needing or want anything to “endow her in a state of grace.” 

This idea of poverty and social classes in the story leads me to my discussion question for this week: How do we see the different social classes represented in this story? What details seem to be associated with one’s socioeconomic status? What scenes in the story do you think best illuminate the theme of poverty/the differentiation between Macabea’s social class and Rodrigo’s?

3 thoughts on “Week nine- The Hour of the Star

1. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

If you remember Dr. Beasley-Murray’s conversation with Sonia Roncador, I think we can get some clues to talk about social classes in this novel. The impact of mass culture is evident both in this narration by Lispector and in the one by Vargas Llosa in this week: in both the presence of the radio is central to the plot, and to the self-awareness of the characters. How does Macabea perceive what she hears? How does she make it hers? In this we also see a class distinction, in the way she consumes information from the “culture”.

2. katherine

I think the dichotomy of social classes is best illustrated by Macabéa’s interaction with the doctor. It’s clear that the doctor is completely disinterested in helping her and ignores her concerns. He is even suggested to feel like he is above treating poor people. The reader obviously feels sympathy and a sense of hopelessness for her as a result.

3. Owen Chernikhowsky

Though I don’t recall whether Rodrigo gave any explicit indication of his social class, his vocation as a writer gives the impression that he is educated and at least middle-class, which seems to be reflected in his neurotic self-awareness and existential speculation. In contrast, lower-class, uneducated Macabea is portrayed as completely lacking in self-awareness, mindlessly following consumer trends, and never questioning anything beyond her immediate life. Though, of course, this picture of her is not simply given but is instead told through the voice of Rodrigo, and thus represents a middle-class understanding of the lower class rather than the lower class in itself.