Week Ten- I, Rigoberta Menchu

This week we read “I, Rigoberta Menchu” by Rigoberta Menchu. I found this story to be very impactful and will definitely be one I remember for a long time. I think this book was a very important read for me to deepen my knowledge of the experience of Indigenous peoples (especially the Indigenous groups in Guatemala, which I had never learned about before reading this book) because I recognize that most of what I have learned about Indigenous rights and history have been through western literature and textbooks, where my teachers would provide a brief overview of the topic. However, reading the individual account of Rigoberta Menchu, someone who has first-hand experienced the discrimination and horrors of what many Indigenous peoples in Guatemala have to endure was really impactful for me as she did not seem to shy away from the most horrific details. While this story was really eye-opening for me to learn about the terrible treatment of Rigoberta Menchu and her group by the Guatemalan government, there were also a lot of interesting details for me as she shared about certain customs and traditions of the Quiche people, such as the Nahual protective spirit that each person has with them throughout life or their birth ceremonies indicating that the birth of a new child belongs not only to the parents but the community. With my interest and little background in developmental psychology, this was really interesting to me as I have only viewed such early life events through a Western lens and I loved to learn more about the traditions within different cultures and groups. With this all being said, it was heartbreaking to me to learn how many of the Quiche children are lost to malnutrition, as Rigoberta said after her younger brother’s death, “I was both angry with life and afraid of it, because I told myself: ‘This is the life I will lead too; having many children, and having them die.’ It’s not easy for a mother to watch her child die, and have nothing to cure him with or help his life” (page 41).

As mentioned earlier, the individual account of Indigenous history or experiences I have found is generally not accounted for when it is taught in school settings, especially in the later years of high school. However, this has been my experience and personally would have found it beneficial to read more books or resources like “I, Rigoberta Menchu” to grow my perspective and learn about the important and somewhat hidden topics of history. For my discussion question this week, I would love to hear if others have had a similar experience to me when it comes to learning about Indigenous rights and history. What do you think the importance is of having read ‘testimonios’ or first-hand accounts of indigenous peoples’ experiences? Do you think more books like this one should be implemented into the school curriculum? Why or why not? I would love to hear some of your thoughts on this topic!

4 thoughts on “Week Ten- I, Rigoberta Menchu

1. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

I think we’re at a good time to ask ourselves the question you end up with. Just as this testimony was implemented a few decades ago as part of the school curriculum in the United States, as Dr. Beasley-Murray’s lecture reminded us, other texts can be added as an alternative to Eurocentric narratives. The new social context, also taking into account the debates about “truth” in the age of social networks, can make us see different aspects of the book.

2. samuel wallace

I also find that firsthand knowledge of historical events often hits us harder than something we might read in a textbook. The intimate nature of the autobiography, or testimonial, helps us sympathise with those we otherwise might never hear from! Thanks for the post

3. Julienne

Hi Mandy, great blog post! I think having resources like testimonios or any form of storytelling about the struggles Indigenous people – or any oppressed community – is really important to be recognized widely such as school. It’s a good way to remind people, or introduce to them if they haven’t yet that realities like this happened, are happening, and will happen. It’s important to have representation for oppressed communities and for their stories to be seen and heard as well, not just stories of victory from the West or from colonizers.

4. Diana

Hi Mandy,
    Enjoyed your post. Now that I think about it, Rigoberta Menchu’s account of the war in Guatemala was the first personal account from an indigenous perspective I’ve read about any war. They’re usually told from the opposing perspective. I believe learning from firsthand accounts of indigenous people would contribute to a more accurate and well-rounded education. By allowing the people who are most affected by issues tell their own stories and share what they choose to about their cultures and traditions, they’re able to bring issues that are specifically important to them to light, and ideally improve their conditions.