Patrick Gillin

From our volunteers

Our student’s reflections on their learning and service experience after the interviews sessions held at the South Granville Senior Center the “Gift from our lives” in March.

From Laurel Neufeld, Spanish 207

“As university students, it’s easy to seal ourselves away, to immerse ourselves in bubbles of only studying and socializing with people of our own age. I’ve found that we tend to forget the world around us, forget the complex struggles people have faced and the rich history that our community shares. The interviews at the South Granville Senior Centre reminded me of this history, and of the power that sharing stories has to make our world a better place. Interviewing Esmeralda, a Chilean exile, was shocking and inspiring. I was impressed at the strength she showed, both in her difficult and violent life back in Chile, and in choosing to tell us her story to us. I was amazed by the extent of her pride towards her family, and inspired by how hard she had worked to give them a better life. And I was honored to be trusted with her story, spoken in her own language and told on her own terms”

From Becky Bradley, Spanish 207

“I have thoroughly enjoyed the Spanish CBEL project I took part in and hope to continue visiting the senior center in the future. Unsure what to expect from this project, I went in eager but also slightly hesitant as our Spanish teacher warned us that some of the stories the interviewees may share had the potential to be emotional and bring you to tears. However, this hesitation was quickly removed after interviewing the first of two Chilean women (on separate occasions). Not only did the interview seem to be an enjoyable experience for the interviewees, but it was also an incredible learning opportunity for myself (practicing my Spanish outside of a classroom and, also learning about their experiences under the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile). When I asked the women at the end of the interview what advice they had for me (seeing as they are both filled with wisdom and experiences), their replies both inspired me and brought me to tears. The first woman told me to work very hard in school and to gain as much knowledge as I can because no one can ever take your knowledge away from you, and the other woman told me to take risks and to question everything. It was inspiring hearing these suggestions from women who had been through so much hardship, yet were still happy and grateful to be alive.”

From Romain Derguini

I thoroughly enjoyed the visit to the senior center with my Spanish class. A large part had to be due to our wonderful interviewee, Carmen. She has to be one of the most interesting women I have ever met. Being married to a diplomat, she had traveled all her life accompanied by a growing family of eventually seven children. The most shocking part was that each child was born in a different country. Coming from the country of Venezuela, it was pleasant to hear that she had left her birthplace by choice and not by obligation. After years of travelling around the world, she grew fond of Canada and convinced her husband to reside in Vancouver, a decision she has never regretted. Personally, I found her impeccably smooth Spanish made it extremely easy to understand her story. However, if that does not convince to talk to her, then her tips on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle definitely will. Carmen is such a wise individual, with a passion to live life to its fullest, who made my visit a very memorial one.

From Isabella Stwart

Having the opportunity to conduct interviews with seniors at South Granville Seniors Centre was unlike any experience I’ve had so far at university. Not only did the project facilitate the chance to practice my Spanish skills outside of the classroom, but it also opened my eyes to the wealth of knowledge and advice that can be gained by interacting with older generations. The experience was thoroughly enjoyable, and the room was buzzing with noise as the different generations interacted together. The willingness of the seniors to talk to us and share their experiences of immigrating to Canada was incredible, particularly given the sensitive context that can accompany these stories. Overall, participating in the project was a great opportunity, and certainly one I would do again!

From Grace Lindsay

“Our interview with Zunilda at the senior center was really an eye-opening experience. While initially she refused to be interviewed, as soon as we began talking she opened up about her life in both Chile and Vancouver. Her story of her life as an emigrant to Canada was inspiring to listen to, and she provided a lot of insight into a scary time in Chile’s history that I had previously not known too much about. However, her most interesting comments by far came in the form of advice to me, my classmates, and the future generation. She told us to question everything within our lives, and not to be afraid to challenge beliefs that even we ourselves hold dear. She also said that maintaining our independence would be very important as we got older. When asked about her legacy and what she hoped to leave in this world, she replied that she hoped she left a “semilla” in the lives of all the people she has known. Her wisdom, tolerance, and thoughtfulness left me with a newfound hope for closing the gap between her generation and ours, as well as optimism for the future.”

About Spanish for Community “Gifts of our Lives” on memory and oral history, its relevance today: by Patrick Gillin 
by Patrick Gillin

One might ask what it means to be working on a small documentary project with a handful of students and perhaps some 15 or 20 subjects in Vancouver at this moment when the United States is living its most difficult political crisis in living memory. It’s a fair question, but it’s easy to answer. In difficult moments each of us must do what we can, even if it seems insignificant, even if we feel our range of influence is small. The rising wave of rash nationalist politics that caused first the seismic shock of “Brexit” and then the tsunami of the 2016 US elections could easily engulf Canada. One only has to look at last night’s events in Quebec to see that. Those who said nothing like that could happen here are willfully ignorant or naïve, and will join the crowd of politicians and political analysts cast aside by their inability to gauge the current climate.

Although our action here lacks the drama of a supreme court decision or a protest with flash-bangs and gas and bullets, plastic or real, swirling about, it is important. We are in the hecatomb of North American public discourse, and our work has the potential to leave a mark on the way the Vancouver and UBC community understands Pan-American relations. Unlike where I grew up, the Latin American experience and voice are not so obvious in Vancouver or at UBC. For some students and members of the community, we may be their point of contact and understanding with the Spanish-speaking community. This is a serious charge. To be Spanish-speaking or Bilingual in the United States is incredibly difficult at the moment.

Even here there are vestiges of the last time that an ignorant and violent US foreign policy shook the hemisphere. There are those who left Chile because of Pinochet, those that left Nicaragua because of the Contras, those who left Colombia because of the cartel violence funded (as the Mexican cartel violence is) by the purchase of illegal drugs in large quantity in North America.

To witness this is to look hard at the legacies left by years of irresponsible action by one country of the Americas against the others (and it is not always state action, nor the United States against all others), and it is important to see this and think critically about this as we move forward into a period of deepening crisis in the Americas.

It’s true, then, that we may not be standing at the center of some dramatic moment of this crisis. We’re standing at an edge, and that means we have the ability to show how far-reaching questions of foreign policy and coup and civil war can be, even thirty years after the fact. One can find those whose lives have been permanently changed even decades later and thousands of miles away. The stories these people have to tell are a small detail illustration of the human experience of emigration and of major crisis in the Americas. One must remember all of those who are left on the periphery, all those who may never get to tell their story.

That’s why it is important to record the ten or twenty stories that we can, and for UBC’s community to hear them.

El Ritmo Es en mi Sangre. by Berlin Capalad

Rhythm is in my blood. One of the phrases that a senior told me as she looked up at me with her teary eyes and explained how the rhythm just moves her and she can’t help it. She also explained how when she walks there’s always a beat in her step. She told me the importance of music to her, in her poetic Spanish words. Even if I don’t fully understand 100% of the Spanish conversation, I can feel her passion and genuine sincerity. I see myself in her and the way she identifies herself a dancer. I always took pride in my own rhythm and I too have an inability to sit still when music comes on. I am happy I’m not the only one.

Visits to the senior centre are always so heart warming. The community that they have built in this small space feels different from typical Vancouver. As soon as you enter, you can feel the warmth and welcomeness from people who have so much wisdom, history and heart.

They have a presence in the room, some louder than others. Regardless, you can feel that every single one of them has a story and an unbelievable journey.

Berlin Capalad
Bachelor’s of Arts | University of British Columbia