I, Rigoberta Menchú

I, Rigoberta Menchú is a powerful memoir about a young Mayan woman’s family and life during the civil war in Guatemala. The main themes explored include discrimination, mistreatment, and violence, which continue to be prominent themes throughout several books we’ve read in this course so far.

I was thoroughly captivated by I, Rigoberta Menchú this week, as it brought a new perspective and made me reflect on my own life and history in our country. We are learning increasingly more about the history of mistreatment and oppression towards Indigenous peoples around the world. The book touches on the impact that colonialism has had on the Indigenous peoples in Guatemala as Rigoberta Menchu describes accounts of racism, violence, and oppression. She describes “Indians” often being sprayed with pesticides, or living in miserable conditions with little to no quality of life, highlighting the vast differences between the treatment of wealthy colonizers and indigenous people. Despite the constant oppression and marginalization inflicted onto the indigenous communities of Guatemala, it was inspiring to see how Menchú was committed to celebrating her cultural heritage. After everything she experiences, she is resilient, and dedicated to her community and her cultural identity.

The book, and all its brutality, oppression and racial inequality, made me reflect on my own position within society, and how far removed I am to Menchú’s experience as an individual who grew up in a wealthy, developed country with various opportunities at her fingertips. It also made me understand how often we take for granted the privilege we have to receive the quality of education that we do, as all Menchú wanted was to master spanish and explore the world outside of her hometown. It was striking to see how she was treated even once she moved to Guatemala City to learn Spanish and work as a maid in a wealthy home, as the book portrays that even pets in the home had a better quality of life than her.

Overall, I, Rigoberta Menchú was thought-provoking and incredibly moving as she highlighted the raw experiences of indigenous people in Guatemala, and the persisting struggles of injustice that continue to linger today as a result of colonialism and systemic racism.

My question for this week is: How did the book make you think about the world we live in, and the privilege we have in society? Did it make you reflect on your own positionally?

4 thoughts on “I, Rigoberta Menchú

1. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

This testimony has the capacity to provoke different reactions, in the same way that it had several intentions at the time it was prepared. If it has made you think about the situation in which you live, and especially your relationship with the indigenous communities around you, I think that reading has been worth the effort. But I would like to know your opinion on the more specifically political aspect of Menchú’s position, which was not resistance but revolutionary. Is such a situation possible in Canada?

2. Mandy

Hello! Thanks for your great post this week! I totally agree that her resilience and dedication to her community throughout the testimony are quite admirable. To answer your question, there were many parts of this story that made me pause and think about how much privilege I had growing up in Canada as a white individual. The story really made me think about how some of the horrible things illustrated in the book may seem quite distant to me, both and time and location, but are unfortunately affecting so many people still today.

3. Daisy Storey

Hi there! I really enjoyed reading your post! I think this book was an excellent reminder for me to truly how fortunate I am in so many ways. Whenever I tried to imagine going through the things she and her community faced, it seemed too difficult. There was this constant never-ending stress and hardship. Moreover, it really highlights the resilience and strength she has. I think it’s amazing that someone who has been through so much can use it as a means to educate and inspire people afterwards.

4. m

Really enjoyed reading your post! and this book definitely encouraged me to think about where I live and how privileged I am. I also couldn’t help but think about the brutality and pain humans are able to inflict on one another once they stop seeing the other as human. Treating people and children like this is beyond my comprehension, but it is something that I often think about and try to make sense of since it has happened, is happening today and will undoubtedly continue to happen.

-mai