Garcia Marquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude

After reading a significant portion of the book, I can say that, so far, I have thoroughly enjoyed Garcia Marquez’s, One Hundred Years of Solitude. It was fascinating to learn that Garcia Marquez was one of the most well-known and successful Latin American writers in history as he “combined literary and cultural prestige,” and that this book was a global classic almost from the moment of publication. It definitely takes a special kind of talent for a writer to have such massive success from the moment a book is published, which is clearly reflected from the fact that he won a Nobel Prize for literature.

Garcia Marquez was especially known for the way he incorporated magic realism within One Hundred Years of Solitude, in which he takes the reader through the history of how the town of Macondo was founded by the Buendia family. The first portion of the book establishes various themes that are pertinent to the rest of the book. These themes include magical realism – blending the unimaginable with reality – nostalgia, struggle, and repetition. The characters in the book also provide a deep insight and exploration into time and repetition within past mistakes, experiences, and tragedies, further proving that everything around us has its agency, and a life of its own. 

In the lecture this week, Jon mentions that the book is “an intricate game of confusion – a narrative that is over-full, excessive, repetitive, with recurring attempts to impose some kind of order one that can otherwise appear to be chaos, even madness.” To answer Jon’s question from the lecture this week, although the beginning of the book was confusing at times, I feel as though I have a different outlook on challenging books ever since I attended an engaging class a few weeks ago. This class challenged the way we think about, well, challenges. It gave me a new appreciation for navigating more intricate books that cause confusion and acknowledge that it’s okay to find it hard to read at times. 

It’s amazing to think that after over 50 years, Garcia Marquez’s, One Hundred Years of Solitude continues to resonate with readers, making it an all-time Latin American classic. I’m really looking forward to diving deeper in the analysis of the first portion of the book this week, and to experience for myself why it has become so influential. 

My question for the week is: what role does magic realism play in the novel, as it is a book that is both repetitive and one that “appeals to many senses and generates many affects”?

2 thoughts on “Garcia Marquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude

1. Daniel Orizaga Doguim

Thanks for keeping the anticipation on the novel, I am too looking forward to hearing what all of you will comment on this week. Apparently the group has generally liked it and you have written about the intricate game of repetitions. But to touch on a topic that you propose, I like that idea that “everything around us has its agency, and a life of its own”. There is also an “excess” of life from those objects, even from certain areas, from Macondo or from the house, an influence from which it seems difficult to escape. In a certain way, the characters are at their mercy.

2. Daniel Choi

“It gave me a new appreciation for navigating more intricate books that cause confusion and acknowledge that it’s okay to find it hard to read at times.” Preach! This is such a great perspective. For me, engaging in this class taught me how it’s okay to sometimes “just flow” with the book despite its confusions. Allowing the difficulty to ‘just be’ seems an important part of the reading journey. To answer your question, I had quite a difficult time trying to find the theme of magical realism in the book. Yes, some parts were ‘magical’ and other parts showed themes of realism; however, I think I still lack understanding of ‘magical realism’ as a theme (if there is such an understanding). Perhaps it might have been better for me to approach the book within the frame of ‘magical realism’ rather than trying to find it within the book…
    – Daniel C