New Data

by spledger ~ September 30th, 2012. Filed under: Uncategorized.

The most dramatic new pieces of information I discovered this week were the USDA agricultural reports, which as we saw on Friday can have an incredibly dramatic effect on commodity prices. The analysis which we conducted in our assignment on production reports was quite timely. It was interesting to see how the release of this new information can cause price shocks, either in anticipation or response to the news. Or alternatively the news can have almost no effect on the price. It all appears to be based on expectations, and when expectations either aren’t met or are exceeded shocks occur.

The other new news site I’ve started following is the Soybean and Corn Advisor (http://www.soybeansandcorn.com/News). The site has some interesting articles on production in South America. One in particular had to do with the chances of a large fungal infection of soybeans within Mato Grosso, Brasil. A very important issue I’ve noticed around trading based on fundamentals is giving weight to information. There are so many news stories and indicators that are pulling prices up, down and sideways that it is tough to know which metric will win out over the others. This weighing issues is one that I’m sure is only conquered through extensive research and experience.

2 Responses to New Data

1.   mliew

Hey Sean,

I’ve been quite keen to learn more about the S. American market for Soybeans and its great to see you’ve found a source.

You’re absolutely right about giving weight to information. Only new information matters, if everyone knows it, its already in the price. Whether in stocks, commodities, currencies, market participants spend so much time (and money) trying to get an information edge over the market.

I met an oil consulting firm once, and they charge $100,000 a year to hedge funds, but promise you will know within 2 minutes if a missle or rocket is fired in the middle east.

2.   Yijeong

Totally agree with giving weight to information. Mark, you’re right on that only new info matters. I’m impressed with your learning! Thanks for sharing!