Bringing technology and text together

[4.4] Task 4: Manual Scripts and Potato Printing

• Was there something particularly challenging in the process?

Prior to starting this challenge I expected two difficulties, 1) cutting with enough precision to create legible letters, and 2) flipping the letters so that once painted they read the right way. Number one proved more difficult by the simple fact that my dishwasher was running with all my good/realistic knives to use for this project, as a result, these lovely potatoes were carved with my larger carving knife, one that is about 5 inches long, and I rarely use. This fun twist added a new layer of challenge, as the increased length made precision cuts harder, and the width made cutting the holes nearly impossible. It seems Number 2 was not horribly done, I seemed to have gotten ⅗ letters the right way, to be fair, two of those letters are mirrorable. Alas, it seems I overcomplicated the geometry of reflection for the “g” and the “h”, resulting in the “g” looking more like an “e”, and “h” just being wrong. 

An unanticipated challenge was keeping hold of/picking up the now slightly slimy/paint-covered potatoes. In the middle of the paper, you will see the remnants of a potato that slipped away, and some letters are more ‘blurry’, as when I pressed them down they slid back and forth. 

• How much time did it take for you to create the stamps? 

From planning to cutting, to painting and printing the total process took around 30 mins. Most of the time was spent planning and cutting. Overall whilst the process was “quick” to my anticipated time, it still was not effective enough for this to have remained the primary form of print when done by hand. The shift to mechanicalized printing is clearly a key influence on the literacy of the world. 

• Have you noticed anything particular about the letters that you have chosen to reproduce?

Unaware when I began to cut and print the letters, 2 of my 5 letters are mirrorable, so regardless of the vertical axis they would reproduce the same letters. Of course, these letters were also some of the easiest to carve, as they had no curvature or main orientation. 

• Considering the time and effort that took you to create a 5-letter word, how do you feel about the mechanization of writing? 

I believe that the mechanization of writing is one of the largest steps forwards humans have been able to accomplish. Lamb and McCormick (2021-present) illustrate the importance in which print or “recorded” media will not change, the word of mouth and fables will continue to shift, but once recorded it is established (Invention, Part 1, 6:11). Mechanizing the process also created a base understanding, and began to create a tangible language that could thus be exchanged and formulated to communicate beyond limited repetition. If writing remained as either a scholar-limited tool, or a tool in which each passage has been handwritten the margin for error, and limited accessibility would be vast. No longer would we have been able to inform the masses, store understandings, or even identify truths or fallacies. Mechanization was the first jump in technology, the first stepping stone, without that technology much of what we know today may not have evolved. 

References:

R. Lamb & J. McCormick.May 8, 2021. From the Vault: Invention of the Book, Part 1[Audio podcast episode]. In Stuff To Blow Your Mind.

« »