Businesses don’t lose when consumers get new items to choose

The success of Zara lies behind its awareness of the large profit margin that is created when many consumer choices are offered. More importantly, Zara uses an approach that many competitors do not.

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/fashion-beauty/images/2008-05/pile-donated-clothing-large.jpg

Each night, store managers of Zara take the time to

“scan through and collect the mountains of unsold items customers tried on without buying,”

in hopes of finding patterns to the items that have not sparked interests in their customers.

On the other hand, many stores make the mistake of rushing to replenish their floor with the items that have not left the fitting room, without realizing that they are constantly pushing out inventory that consumers have shown no interest of buying. Zara stays ahead of the game by finding the unwanted items, and pushing out new items to customers, and offering them new choices of things they might like. I work in retail myself, and I get sick of having to prep the same items over and over because they never make it out of the store. I can only imagine the disappointment that consumers face when they return to a store only to find the same items on the shelves that they have already rejected.