Hope Restored

Photograph by Anthony Behar/Sipa via AP Photo

Reading the New York Times article titled: “CVS Vows to Quit Selling Tobacco Products” gave me a new-found faith in corporate executives. In February, CVS made the decision to stop selling cigarettes – not to maximize profits but to protect public health. In fact, the move will cut them an estimated $2 billion in sales. As one of America’s largest drugstores, this socially-conscious decision will undoubtedly spur change in other retail stores across the US to consider similar actions. Through this, CVS demonstrates great corporate social responsibility and leadership. However, CVS also has the corporate obligation to achieve the highest profits possible for its shareholders. It’s difficult to find a balance of corporate social responsibility and profit maximization in this sort of situation, but I believe CVS has made it work. The company earned sales of $127 billion in 2013; $2 billion cut from tobacco sales will not make a huge dent. As awareness of social issues are made increasingly accessible during this digital era, this move will also give CVS a public nod of approval. Friedman’s theory that corporate executives must always act with the primary goal of increasing profits left me little hope in the corporate world. However, this article helped restore it.