Hello from the Kootenays

My name is Allison Kostiuk. This is my 9th MET course! I have taken ETEC 500, 510, 511, 512, 521 (Indigeneity), 531 (Arts & Humanities), 540 (Text Technologies), and 565A (Learning Technologies).

I live in Cranbrook and teach in Kimberley in the beautiful East Kootenay region of BC.

I have taught grade 3 for the past five years and taught K-5 music before that. I am in my sixth year of teaching and am looking forward to completing my Masters this year. The learning I have engaged in and encountered during my time in the MET program has been hugely rewarding and I look forward to gathering more resources and experiences with technology in the classroom from this course.

As you can see above, my hobbies include yoga, as well as cooking and crafting (making homemade cards and scrapbooking). I have been taking 2 MET courses at the same time as working full time throughout my time in the program and look forward to having only one course this semester to hopefully achieve some sort of better balance in my life.

Looking forward to learning with you all!

1. Hi Allison,
    You are teaching in the town I was born in! I was adopted as a newborn, and have only been back once in my entire life. It is such a beautiful little gem in our province— I am certain I will visit again, one day. 🙂
    Congratulations on almost finishing your degree! May I ask you what your favorite elective has been to date? I have only taken 565A (plus my cores), so I have three more to choose. I am pretty solid on taking 521, but that leaves me with two more… (If anyone else has some favorites, I am all ears!)
    Namaste,
    Dana

2. Nice to meet you Allison. I also love yoga. Recently I have been adding more weight training using the weight of my own body, and yoga has given me the strength and balance to help me transition to this. The core strength that yoga provides is second to none! Do you make cards to sell or just as a hobby? I ask because I am constantly amazed at the arts and crafts etc on the ETSY site. So much hidden talent out there. Looking forward to working with you throughout this course. 🙂

3. Welcome Allison to ETEC 533. Thank you also for the images! Most of the resources are aimed at secondary by virtue of what is available; however, the larger category of tools and integration strategies would extend. I agree with the talent comment of Michelle. We look forward to learning from you Allison, Samia

4. Hi Allison,

Good to see you again. I hadn’t realized that we have actually been teaching the same amount of time (6 years) and in similar content areas (music). Hopefully we have an opportunity to work together again.

– Dan

5. Hi Allison,
    So excited to see you in another course. I love the image you posted. It brought back memories of my daughters when they were fully engaged in the circus arts. They trained at the National Circus School in Montreal and did workshops at Cirque as well. They have both taken a break from training and performing to get their degrees, not sure they will ever return to the circus life but it was an excellent thing for them as they grew up. They have met and keep in contact with other artists from around the world. As they call, travelling on the cheap. Every two years the group gets together in someone else’s home town. They have been to Austria, Spain, France and Mexico and we have had the pleasure of hosting (we had 9 circus arts teens with us for two weeks a couple of summers ago). It was fun to visit your own area as a tourist.
    As I mentioned in my reply to you, I will send the video from my previous course this weekend.
    Like you this is also my first time taking only one course (last summer I took three and spend a lot of time stressed).
    I look forward to working with you,
    Catherine