Project 4

Body Enabler

The goal of this project was to identify a problem that can only be solved by designing an original tool that engages the body. I then had to design and craft the tool, and the tool must be functional in the end result.

Here were the rules I had to follow for the fourth project:

1. No digital tools.
  2. The tool may not be constructed of more than two materials.
  3. Absolutely no tape or glue.
  4. The tool must be smaller than a shoebox.
  5. If the idea exists already on the internet, you fail.

This project was a challenge in innovating new ideas, as the ideas would flow but then end up no where when I realized the idea in mind had already existed. The material limit was my biggest challenge, and unfortunately I did exceed the material limit by using 3 types of material instead of 2, but my TA allowed it so it’s all good.

My idea came to me as I struggled one morning to roll my cuffs up to equal length. That was my moment of epiphany and Cuff It was formed within the next hour.

The material includes: Elastic Band, Thread, and Buttons. I measured and cut the elastic band into desirable lengths. After doing research on typical lengths of cuffs, I noted there were 4 types people like: 1/2 inch, 1 inch, 1 1/2 inch, and 2 inch. I then proceeded to cross stitch in the logo of Cuff It and the size onto the elastic band. The final touches included sewing 3 buttons on for adjustable lengths.

The end result was satisfactory, keeping the design simplistic yet beautiful.

My biggest success of the project was being selected amongst all my fellow tutorial members as one of the top 3 projects for this section. Cuff It was then presented later in lecture, in front of all 150 students.

2 inch Cuff It on Shirts

1/2 inch Cuff It on Cargo Pants

1 inch Cuff It on Leggings

1 1/2 inch Cuff It on Jeans