Inherent Shared Value

The concept of creating Shared Value is one that sparks my passion and interest.

shared_value-puzzle

I found it revolutionary to consider the concept of creating societal value first, and incurring economic value as an inevitability and side effect of that action. I truly admire companies for taking initiatives to incorporate Corporate Social Responsibility into their company procedures and value propositions. Whether it’s using sustainable materials, diverting profits to NGO’s, or sourcing ethically (Starbucks), it increases the companies appeal to me as a consumer. But the brands that resonate most deeply for me are those that have shared value within their original value propositions, and where the simple act of their daily activities as a business create benefit to society. These businesses inspire my entrepreneurial spirit to no end.

beyond-meat-22because-22-demo-ad

Beyond Meat” is the perfect example of a company that has created a business from essentially helping consumers improve their own health, improve the environment, and improve the lives of animals.

BeyondMeat

These are values that are at the core of their operations, and it permeates their entire brand, and all their products. It’s not simply a marketing initiative, or a media campaign, instead it’s integral to their fundamental operations, and the values that they create are simply a bi-product of operating as usual. These businesses are the perfect representation of shared value and are businesses that I hope to one day emulate.

1 Thought.

1. Hey Steph! =D

I remember in class you said you were interested in taking around with health and wellness when speaking about potential start up businesses. Obviously I can see a passion for shared value started to build with you right out the gate of class 15. If social entrepreneurship is where you’re feeling pulled I say go for it! Only entrepreneurs who are inspired by an idea like this have a chance to make a mark on the world.
    In the words of the great Steve Jobs:

“Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you.”

It’s inspiring isn’t it? The fact that everything around us is only defined by the people who make it so. It is within your reach to revolutionize life itself. You just have to take the chance.