Synthesis

FINAL REFLECTION

Precis of my Flightpath

My flightpath outlined 3 main goals that I intended to gain from taking this course. Well, after finalizing my LMS content module, I think I have done just that; accomplished my goals. They were:

1. Design and develop digital-age learning experiences and assessments (ISTE, 2008)
  2. Learn about LMS and create a course either using Moodle or Connect. I am familiar with Connect but not with Moodle. I hope is to learn more on this and then choose accordingly.
  3. Learn in what ways how to integrate social media into the classroom as a teaching tool.

I wanted to learn how to incorporate digital tools into the classroom learning environment. To allow my students to explore their curiosities and be more active in their own educational goals, manage their own learning and assess their own progress (ISTE, 2008). I explained that I wanted to learn how to create a course using either Moodle or Connect, and in the end I chose the former. I’m glad I chose this as I know many elementary schools do have access to this LMS. I believe that it will benefit myself down the road in my educational career. The last goal I had was to learn how to integrate social media into the classroom. November (2012) discussed how using Twitter can be a powerful educational tool and I now know how to use a hashtag with my students.

My ETEC 565A Experience

My overall ETEC 565A experience was challenging but exciting at the same time. It was very confusing in the beginning as we were first using Connect as our main form of online coursework and then switched to the New Learning Environment. I had to keep switching back and forth to see what I was supposed to do next and in what learning space. After a few weeks I got the hang of it and knew what was required from me. I learned that introducing new technology into the classroom, in our MET course and in professional work, technology will always have hiccups.

I must say that I learned a tremendous amount of information while taking this course. The readings, the practical component and our online discussions all tied together nicely. I found myself always referring back to the readings when I was unsure of something or wanted clarification on a certain topic. They were extremely useful for our discussions and our reflections. I appreciated Bates’ (2014) SECTIONS model as I never thought of how or why educators should choose a particular type of technology to use in their classroom. It makes sense. Educators shouldn’t just choose a type of technology since that might be the only one they know how to use, but should step out of their boundaries and consider what is in their students best interest.

The practical component, the LMS content module, was the most challenging but at the same time the most useful. I had only ever heard of Moodle before, never had I seen it in action. I had to learn a complete new type of software, just like most of us. It required a lot of patience, many readings and many videos on how to use it and see just how it works. It was fun creating a course online that I wanted to be engaging, thought provoking and appealing to my students. I think I created just that.

As with other master courses, you learn a lot from each other. As we did with our discussions in this course. Looking at other examples from past students LMS courses helped me greatly. I really didn’t know how or where to start. After reviewing others and getting a better sense of what I’m supposed to do, I tackled it head on. With our discussions, I also learned from others. What I may have not had thought of before, triggered a new view on a certain topic or idea. Constructivist theorists argue that online environments can enrich learning by allowing students to acquire a wider range of resources and materials (Coates, James & Baldwin, 2005). This doesn’t necessarily mean learning from other html pages online, but also what students can learn in discussion groups; from one another.

Next Steps

Traxler (2007) states that mobile learning, allows students to engage in self-directed learning and stimulates their cognitive curiosity beyond the classroom walls (as cited in Ciampa, 2013). I completely agree. I always had and will from now on, find a way to incorporate technology into the classroom. Whether it be using social media, LMS, mobile devices or using different apps or platforms, I am committed to using technology. I think it’s extremely important to engage our learners but also for us educators. Whenever there is a workshop on technology, I always sign up. I will continue to do so. I am glad I enrolled into this course as it will only benefit me in the years to come.

Bates, T. (2014). Teaching in the Digital Age. Retrieved March 31, 2016, from http://opentextbc.ca/teachinginadigitalage/

Ciampa, K. (2014). Learning in a mobile age: An investigation of student motivation.Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 30(1), 82-96.

Coates, H., James, R., & Baldwin, G. (2005). A critical examination of the effects of Learning Management Systems on university teaching and learning. Tertiary Education and Management 11, 19-36

The International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). Standards for Teachers. Retrieved March 30, 2016, from: http://www.iste.org/standards/ISTE-standards/standards-for-teachers

November, A. (2012). How Twitter can be used as a powerful educational tool.November Learning. Retrieved from http://novemberlearning.com/educational-resources-for-educators/teaching-and-learning-articles/how-twitter-can-be-used-as-a-powerful-educational-tool/