2:4 – Assumptions

Question 3) We began this unit by discussing assumptions and differences that we carry into our class. In “First Contact as Spiritual Performance,” Lutz makes an assumption about his readers (Lutz, “First Contact” 32). He asks us to begin with the assumption that comprehending the performances of the Indigenous participants is “one of the most obvious difficulties.” He explains that this is so because “one must of necessity enter a world that is distant in time and alien in culture, attempting to perceive indigenous performance through their eyes as well as those of the Europeans.” Here, Lutz is assuming either that his readers belong to the European tradition, or he is assuming that it is more difficult for a European to understand Indigenous performances – than the other way around. What do you make of this reading? Am I being fair when I point to this assumption? If so, is Lutz being fair when he makes this assumption?

In reading Lutz’s words regarding the perception of first stories, it is easy to jump to conclusions. We might assume that Lutz is writing for the European person in order to enlighten them to the validity of the ways and practices of Indigenous peoples. That seems like the most logical conclusion because we can probably assume that they are more ignorant of First Nations culture that a Native person. One would think that a person of First Nation heritage might have an instant connection to these stories and fully understand why they are important and as equally valid as any European version. However, I would argue that there would be a large amount of people, Canadians especially, of European descent, who would likely not connect to a European first story. This is, as Lutz says, because we must attempt to “enter into a world that is distant in time and alien in culture” (“First Contact” 32) and this applies just as much to the culture of the early Europeans. I would find it difficult to relate to the ways and practices of anyone who lived in the 1800’s, or perhaps even earlier – “We often think of Christopher Columbus’ 1492 landfall as the ‘real first, first encounter’. Yet we know that Norse had been to North America in the years around 1,000” (“Contact Over and Over” 2)– regardless of their heritage. True, I would probably have an easier time with the European stories, if only for a shared language, but the commitment to religion, it’s practices, morals and stories that had a significant influence on those European settlers, would separate me, among other things. This goes to show that, similarly, modern day Natives may not automatically connect or sympathize with the bygone people of their heritage. The practices of those days were likely radically different from what they are today, and that is assuming that the Indigenous person in question is actually versed in their native culture. Just because they are born of that heritage does not guarantee that they were brought up to understand or appreciate it. I can say from experience as a 2nd/3rd generation Canadian that there’s a large portion of my heritage that I know very little about, simply because my dad didn’t think that those stories and customs were important to pass on to me, since they were fairly far from removed even from him. I think, overall, Lutz is making the assumption that the Indigenous first contact performances would be more difficult to relate to and, to an extent this is true. However, we might conclude that Lutz is writing for all modern people reading his work and interested in learning about those pivotal first moments of contact, not just Europeans.

Works Cited:

DavidandRemus Bad Crayfish. “Christopher Columbus: What Really Happened.” Online video clip. YouTube. YouTube, 6 Nov. 2013. Web. 14 June 2016.

Lutz, John. “Contact Over and Over Again.” Myth and Memory: Rethinking Stories of Indignenous- European Contact. Ed. Lutz. Vancouver: U of British Columbia P, 2007. 1-15. Print.

—. “First Contact as a Spiritual Performance: Aboriginal — Non-Aboriginal Encounters on the North American West Coast.” Myth and Memory: Rethinking Stories of Indigenous-European Contact. Ed. Lutz. Vancouver: U of British Columbia P, 2007. 30-45. Print.

“Traditions.” Germany. Cultural Portfolios from COM227 at Depauw U. 3 May 2003. Web. 14 June 2016.

“Video: Justin Trudeau Warmly Welcomed by First Nations Leaders.” Photograph. The Globe and Mail. The Globe and Mail Inc. 8 Dec. 2015. Web. 14 June 2016.

3 Comments

1. Hi Julia,

Your blog is very thought provoking and you did an excellent job in enlightening the reader regarding the important point about ‘assumptions’ made by European Canadians as it pertains to their acquired knowledge about the cultural practices/beliefs of the Indigenous people. Your argument about how Native people today would not automatically connect to the stories of their heritage really sheds light on the impact/outcome of historical settler colonial ideology (ex. Indian Residential Schools) and does a good job in challenging the stereotype that an individual’s race must automatically connect them to their historical cultural background. The point about Lutz making the assumption that first contact between Indigenous and European people is difficult to relate to simply due to an element of unfamiliarity ranging from language, cultural practices, symbolic interactions etc. is a shared perspective that I had as well when reading this article, I felt that you did a great job in supporting your arguments by including a personal reference to how you are a 2nd/3d generation Canadian and how there is a large portion of your heritage that you do not know about, this example reinforced your your main arguments and was also something that I can relate to as well, being an Indo-Canadian and often subject to discrimination and racism in multiple forms. This was a great read and I look forward to reading more of your work. All the best.

Deepak Nijjer

2. Hi Julia,

I can relate to the point you made about a parent not telling their “first stories” simply because they aren’t seen as important: my mom is the same way. I do think they are a crucial point to understand the original stories. I do believe Lutz wrote his essay with good intentions! There’s always going to be a grey area and the difficulties with trying to maintain an unbiased tone whilst still trying to drive across his main point, which is that it is necessary for open dialogue to be created. Your post gave me much insight!

Best,

Navi

1. Oh I have no doubt he had good intentions in his writing. And I agree, a great deal of these criticisms that we’re reading, to me, fall into a “grey area” where it’s really difficult to articulate the full spectrum of what is going on for these first contact moments (or indeed the ongoing multi-layered relationship) between Indigenous and European peoples and their descendants.