Blog One: Hello Canadians! (U1:L1)

Dear Reader,

First and foremost, thanks for checking out my blog. I am really excited to begin this journey with you for the next 13 weeks! During our time together, you will read my thoughts, comments and questions regarding the course ENGL470A- Canadian Studies: Canadian Literary Genres. In this course, we will be studying and reflecting on the oral and print traditions of the Indigenous and Settler (European) peoples. By looking at the texts, the class will engage in discussions of the power of voice, the power of the written word versus the oral, the meshing of two societies and how much of the Canadian “voice” to our history is weighted against the Indigenous traditions and more towards the settlers.

As a 4th Year English Lit student graduating this April, I am really excited to be taking this course as I have not delved into the Canadian Literary Genre too deeply. I am originally from England, and moved to Canada in 2001- but don’t worry, I am not planning on taking over the country again :P! My family became citizens in 2006, and we have loved every minute of living in Canada.

When I ponder about the potential lessons and discussions/debates that this course will instigate, I reflect on the bloody history that weaves its way throughout our red and white flag. I anticipate an exploration of our modern day understanding of multiculturalism, and how although “Canada was the first country in the world to declare multiculturalism as its official policy” (Economic & Political Weekly) there are discrepancies and problems in our supposed ‘multicultural’ approach to our Canadian doctrine. Because of this, I foresee a discussion full of strong opinions towards our present day acceptance of Aboriginal traditions in all departments of Canadian institutions and whether or not Canada should recognize Aboriginal Law, and the implications of doing so. Additionally, I am very interested in discussions about the “cause and effects” of changing the ‘voices’ to our Nation’s governing ideologies, and historical view points!

cartoon-pm-and-indians2

https://ehpols1303blog.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/aboriginal-peoples-in-canada/ 

I am very excited to embark on this journey, and look forward to engage with you all about Canada eh!

Works Cited:

“Aboriginal Peoples In Canada.” POLS 1303 My Thoughts. N.p., 21 Sept. 2014. Web. 08 Jan. 2015. <https://ehpols1303blog.wordpress.com/2014/09/21/aboriginal-peoples-in-canada/>.

“Multiculturalism and the Aboriginal Peoples in Canada.” Economic & Political Weekly (2012)

Tomm, Matthew. “Public Reason and the Disempowerment of Aboriginal People in Canada.” Canadian Journal of Law and Society 28.3 (2013): 293-314.

9 thoughts on “Blog One: Hello Canadians! (U1:L1)

1. Hello Susie, nice to meet you and happy to hear you are excited about the potential for learning in this course of studies, I am looking forward to your contributions; a great beginning, thanks.

2. Hello Susie!

I believe we had a class and discussion group together last semester, History 391! It’s nice to see a familiar face in this course as well. 🙂

I was driven to respond to your blog by the illustration you posted, as well as your idea about the changing voices within our nation’s government. It seems to be me as though that picture could just as easily have portrayed the First Nations figure sitting in the ‘out’ pile, as in “out of fashion”. The treatment of Canada’s First Nation population seems so easily swayed by whether they are considered ‘in’ or ‘out’ at the time.

Around the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, for instance, they were very ‘in’. The opening ceremonies contained references to their culture and any visitor was sure to leave with the impression that Canada, and the city of Vancouver specifically, was entrenched with First Nations culture. Looking around today, however, that same culture seems far more absent in the mainstream. They have once again been forced to the ‘out’ of Canadian society, especially when it comes to issues such as land rights, pipeline arguments and the like.

Anyways, your inclusion of that image got me thinking. great choice!

3. Hey Christie!

Always nice to be taking a class with a previous classmate but in a different discipline! Thank you for your feedback – I found your points very compelling!
    What I see to be a issue in our understandings of First Nations culture is that it is a history to Canada, so how do we make something that has been mentally placed in “history” and acknowledge it as a present without making others feel like their respective cultures are not also appreciated and valued? Canada was founded on both European, Aboriginal and Asian backs – it is a history that, like most, is full of pros and cons. But at some point, I feel that we need to acknowledge that it is history and flip the page and simply figure out how to tackle the present! As always, no closure can be brought if we are always looking backwards! Obviously how things are panning out now is not working… so I am excited to discuss this further and see how others think/feel!

Thanks for you thoughts, and I look forward to taking another class with you!

4. Hi Susie,

Much the same as Christie, it was the image you included in your post that initiated my interest. I have never seen this image before, but it immediately brought many thoughts to my mind. I didn’t initially see the ‘in’ and ‘out’ baskets on the desk, but I rather thought the Aboriginal man was just sitting there over looking what was going on, ensuring his opinion was of interest. After seeing the ‘in’ and ‘out’ baskets, it immediately made me think that the Aboriginal man has definitely shifted from the ‘out’ (assimilation) basket, to the ‘in’ basket in recent history – with his opinion and voice being heard much more clearly now than ever.

Look forward to having conversation with you throughout the term! Thanks for starting the dialogue with a great image.

5. Hi Susie

Very nice to meet you, I also look forward to exploring issues with multiculturalism and whether or not the policy achieves its intended purpose. I remember learning about multiculturalism in my intro to POLI class in first year, and it was only later I learned the policy is problematic in several ways. I agree that opinions in this class are going to vary and I look forward to discussions. Challenging identities and notions that are widely accepted is never an easy task. I once took a religious studies class and some of the students found some of the curriculum challenging and upsetting, because it contradicted their religious beliefs. Hopefully the conversation will be constructive!
    Cheers,
    Arel

6. Hey Arel,

Thanks so much for your feedback – I look forward to discussing with you on this issues, and learning about your thoughts, ideas, perspectives and opinions!