Monthly Archives: December 2016

A Brief Introduction to My Reflection Blog Posts

Introduction to My Reflection Blog Posts

December 4, 2016

The following blog posts are a personal recollections of my experience throughout the semester of Fall 2016. The learning experience was a difficult one, but it was very rewarding. Beyond improving my ability to write, I have effectively improved on my communication skills with strangers that I have never met before. It still amazes me how I have been apart of a team of writers that assembled quickly and created a great bond with each other online. I cannot express enough gratitude to Dr. Paterson, Ms. Spencer, and my PW301 team members’ guidance. Thank you everybody, I truly will never forget it.

Final Reflection – Process of Creating a Web Folio

Unit 4 Web Folio Reflection

December 4, 2016

The Process

I have chosen to transform my ENGL 301 blog into my Web Folio due to WordPress’ flexible layout style and the ease of transition, without having to move a bulk of my documents. Having to collect all the necessary items, as well as to selectively curating what to post was a difficult decision to make. Looking back to what I have accumulated this semester, I honestly feel glad that ENGL 301 was one of my first classes I have taken at UBC. The class helped me realize that my writing skills have degraded over the hiatus I have taken after my graduation from SFU, and I have also learned that I can still gainĀ a trick or two.

The Final Product

After putting together my final pieces to my Web Folio, I had a moment of “self-congratulatory” silence. It’s been a difficult transition from full-time work to schooling again. Looking at the Web Folio, it helped me realize my passion for web-development, which was forgotten during my full-time work years, and I need to develop more meaningful skills such as computer language proficiency.

The Future

By learning the proper way to communicate and write within a technical setting, I am confident that I can effectively succeed in the future, wherever it may be. I have enjoyed ENGL 301 and I highly recommend it to others as the class teaches you fundamental communication skills.

Unit 4 Self-Assessment Reflection

Unit 4 Self-Assessment Reflection

December 4, 2016

Strengths & Weaknesses in My Learning Process

Regarding my strengths and weaknesses in my learning process, it can be summarized in a single sentence. I require many hours of practice, and I need a peer to keep me on track as I tend to develop my own version of work during my progression. Although I am capable of learning something through repetition, I tend to develop a tangent method and this causes me to develop a bad habit. Throughout this semester, I have learned that having a strong peer network can be an advantage of mine to keep my learning process on the right path.

23123

Strengths & Weaknesses in My Assignments

Within my assignments, my peers will agree that there is intense passion about the work. This is a double edged sword as I tend to develop “tunnel vision“. Perhaps this type of work ethic was developed within me due to my Psychology background. To elaborate, when writing a Psychology paper, a bit of “tunnel vision” is required to strengthen arguments, with disclaimers for faults within the argument. Through ENGL 301, my peers were quick to tell me that I need to develop a way to recognize my faults within the work and reprimand this.

Skills & Strength as a Student to Support my Future Career Goals

ENGL 301 has been a wake up call for me. Personally, after graduating with my prior degree, I had been very confident about my writing style and effectiveness of my communication skills. However, I rediscovered that I am nowhere near on par with real world professionals, and my writing skills have degraded over the years. I am extremely glad I applied for UBC for a second degree and I intend to restructure the way I communicate with others. In the future, I hope to lead a team of programmers to form a startup company. With what I have learned from this course, I know I can be a better leader than before.

screenshot-2016-12-04-03-27-23