Why it was actually forbidden fruit

Once the earth had finished becoming a place with one continent and a lot of water, there was a ball of leftovers. All the deities had sectioned off the sky so they all had their own kingdoms. They had begun their people in a different way. They had all created the earth together, and fabricated what a human was exactly. They all agreed in certain particles which they left to roam free on the earth; such as love, happiness, passion, kindness, courage and bravery.

In that ball were tiny particle people. They were all different colors purple, blue, red, black, grey, yellow, orange, pink and white. The red was the most vocal, it yelled, it screamed, it demanded to be heard. It insisted on pinching the earth through the surface of the bubble, it demanded to be felt. It was the most flamboyant and exuted its energy outside of the ball of tiny people. It became a full bright red ball , its density was able to mask the reality of what the red ball contained. It looked like something which would grow off of a tree, it ressembled a big, juicy, red apple.

The particles fought together in the red ball, they pushed, they shoved. There was one particle who didn’t participate. The red particle felt overwhelmed and hid by leaning against a wall. Different particles fought differently, some yelled, some hit, some tripped. They infected each other of things that needed to be felt, things that needed to be heard. These particles tortured each other in this ball, they made each other hurt; they found weaknesses in each other. They infiltrated each other with pain and resentment.

All the while outside of the ball the contient was growing.   Humans began to arrive and thrive. Love, happiness, passion, kindness, courage and bravery infected the humans and reproduced. They spread the wealth and encouraged greatness. They were beautiful, pure and vibrant. Their innocence was shocking but also excited the humans to exist on what would later be called earth.

A shadow matted the bright red for just a second, it was a shadow of a woman. Then all of a sudden the particles silenced, they heard something coming towards the ball. The ball was then moving and cracked open by big white rocks. The red ball broke, a piece taken which opened a gate for all the particles to escape.  The particles saw skin and a massive person, who ressembled a particle person yet was clearly not.

The first to walk out, was one called Self doubt; he was yellow. He was mad and he wanted revenge. Then there was depression, he was blue, he was silent and wanted to share his thoughts with others. Racism followed, he was orange; one of the most unloved colors in the rainbow. The eating disorder was pink, and she was the most beautiful of all the particles. Addiction was purple, he stumbled out of the crack, hardly standing. It was easy to tell that he was on the hunt; he needed to be fed. Anxiety was white and shaky, she wasn’t sure whether to walk out of the apple or not, her trying to decide looked painful, even to the other particles. Nightmare and insomnia were black, they ran away very quickly.

Soon the only one left was the red man, he walked out slowly and calmly because he knew that he was invincible. The red ball was grief for a loved one. The red particle had his hand on all the other particles. The red ball was grief for anything and all things on this earth.

The reason the deities had kept these particles away from the world was because they were able to infiltrate people’s mind. These particles had more power and control than the other particles the deities allowed to walk on earth. These particles were dangerous to the well being of the continent.   Now they are loose and thriving.

I believe that all stories are accurate and that every culture’s reasoning for how the earth came about is realistic and beautiful.  I wanted to put my own twist on the concept of Eve specifically because the story has never quite made sense to me. My concept of Eve even got more intertwined when I studied Eve’s apology in defines of a woman written by Amelia Lanyer.   When I told my friends about my version of how evil came into the world, I got many “Oh” s.  A couple of them really liked it and actually thought “it made sense”.  One of my best friends very specifically said “nifty” and suggested making it a play.  I’m proud of the story I made up and I would like to re explore it later on and explore some of the feminist elements which Amelia Lanyer brought up in her poem.

Let me know what you think!

Tai Amy

Bibliography: King, Thomas. The Truth About Stories. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2005. Print.

Daunt, Tina. ‘Book Review: ‘Unbearable Lightness’ By Portia De Rossi’. latimes. N.p., 2015. Web. 30 May 2015.

Headlinestheatre.com,. ‘2015 Maladjusted Tour :: Project Home’. N.p., 2015. Web. 30 May 2015.

Sussman, S., N. Lisha, and M. Griffiths. ‘Prevalence Of The Addictions: A Problem Of The Majority Or The Minority?’. Evaluation & the Health Professions 34.1 (2010): 3-56. Web. 30 May 2015.

Charlesyoungs.com,. ‘Eve’s Apology In Defense Of Women’. N.p., 2015. Web. 30 May 2015.