Adjective Prompt – Inspired by ‘The Rabbit’

In the story ‘The Rabbit’ by R.P. Macintyre, the son ends up being smarter than the parents. Write about a time when you were smarter than the person in authority. Use as many adjectives as you can without repeating:

(actually, this is when my 10 year old proved smarter than me)

One rainy morning, upon waking in his disastrous bedroom, my ten year old son began screaming in a shrill manner. “Mom”, he yelled with a helpless edge to his voice. “My iPod is dying a horrible death. It strangely refuses to charge!”

We were already running extremely late, me having selfishly snoozed the alarm too many times, ensuring a rushed morning for everyone else.

“I’m sorry to hear”, I replied. “I understand how exceptionally important your iPod is to you, but we’re severely late and you’re being excessively dramatic about this.”

Eventually, he was gently coaxed into the car, but his mood was markedly sulky. “This is an awful, unfix-able problem”, he whined. “And you don’t understand. I know you don’t!”

“That is an exorbitant lie!”, I retorted. “I do so understand!”

Two days later I received a strikingly legitimate looking email from an old friend, insisting I click on a link. So I did. And then my brand new laptop shut down and began to make a funny whirring sound.

“This is horrendous!” I cried, in a defeated sounding voice.

“What’s wrong Mom”, my interested son asked.

“I think my $1200 laptop has contracted a dreadful virus through a loathsome email link”. I embarrassingly  began to sob in a dejected, heart-breaking manner.

“That’s awful”, he replied.

“You”, I said, “do not understand just how heinous this is, and how despondent I am.”

“Turns out that I was completely right”, he replied, “when I said you didn’t understand how disastrous it was for me when my beloved iPod stopped working”. “Oh well, “he said, “now you do”…