Letter of Application

University of British Columbia
2329 Westbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

September 17, 2019

RE: English 301: Technical Communications, Letter of Application

My fellow classmates,

I am writing this letter of application to prospectively join your writing team this semester. The purpose of this letter is to share with you some of my professional accomplishments, as well as, express my qualifications in order to become a member of your team. After reading my autobiography, you will find that I am in the process of completing my dental hygiene degree through UBC. I have worked in the dental field for the past 14 years, and I look forward to the opportunities for growth in my career, my goal is to work with public health services. A rewarding experience in my career, was when I volunteered abroad with Health Mission Outreach Canada (HMO), a non-profit charitable medical and dental volunteer organization. I travelled to El Salvador, with a team of 34 medical and dental professionals, collaborating inter-professionally providing care to almost 2000 patients in a week. This experience has made me appreciate the work that I do so much more, it has increased my passion to promote oral health and to not take for granted the oral care that I provide for my patients. Out of my graduating class, I received the Hazel McCallion community service award. This was given to me because of the demonstrated compassion, and the time dedicated outside of school work providing access to care and oral health services to those in need, working alongside with various volunteer groups.
Some of the strengths that I could bring to this team, are that I am easy going and have experience with team work. I am a dedicated student, and strive to meet deadlines in a timely manner. I consider that I have strong writing, and communication skills. I also have an evidence-based research background. I consider that there could be challenges throughout this process, but I am motivated to resolve issues, and have overcome some of the technical difficulties already. Some of my weaknesses are that I might not have much experience working with online resources and groups, this is my first online semester. I also tend to over analyze my writing, and I am not a strong editor, but I am hoping to improve in these areas.
With the mindset to improve my technical writing skills, my learning philosophy is to primarily have a broad overview of the content. Then I have a better understanding of the components of the work required. I am detail oriented and like to work with patience, and to take it one step at a time, in order to ensure that I don’t miss anything that is required for the projects.
If you find that my experience and what I have to offer resonates with you, it would be my pleasure to work with you in order to reach common goals throughout this course. You may reach me through email, brenda.martinez@alumni.ubc.ca. I look forward to connecting with you and beginning this academic journey.

Sincerely, Brenda Martinez