Unit 3:3 Reflection Blog

As I reflect on this past unit, I am glad to review my progress, and to realize that it was worthwhile putting the effort that I did over the past few weeks. This unit was particularly full of major components and assignments worth a big portion of the course mark this semestre. I learned all about putting together a research proposal, draft, and writing professional letters. A lot of brainstorming went into deciding on a topic to research at my place of work. This was tricky because the research had to be measurable, anonymous, and keeping in mind working within an ethical research framework.

Our team at work recently had a presentation regarding infection control and best practices to reduce aerosol bacteria in our working environment. This topic was eyeopening and very intriguing. Since this was a new protocol introduced by management, this provided me with an idea for my formal report project. I decided to research the use of an antibacterial mouth-rinse prior to ultrasonic scaling, and to help determine if the dental hygiene team at work would think it was a great addition to our daily practice, or if they perceived this new protocol to not be beneficial. This was an interesting topic to research, and I really enjoyed working on this project. Overall, I enjoy doing research, and creating reports, however; I hadn’t had the opportunity to work through the steps of creating a formal report in this manner before. It was a good learning experience.

The formal report draft peer-review provided by my team mate, Usman Zahoor, gave me wonderful insight on my work so far. His review of my formal report draft was very positive, and gave me great tips on how to improve my report. I will definitely apply these recommendations prior to my final report submission. I will consult with my team some time soon to receive some help with the MLA style of referencing, as this is one of my biggest set-backs in writing reports, I have managed to produce good work using the Vancouver style in the past, but I definitely need more practice with MLA. I will try to improve my referencing technique.

ENG 301 Formal Report-Draft-Brenda Martinez