Introduction to ENG 301

Introduction:

English 301 is a third-year level University course, offered at The University of British Columbia (UBC). This course is intended for students studying in a variety of disciplines, that are interested in improving their proficiencies in technological communications. English 301 supports students in developing skill-sets aimed at improving written and online communications. Through a series of online discussions, such as, preparation of abstracts, proposals, applications, reports, correspondence and online communications.

Outline:

English 301 is divided into 4 units, consisting of 3 weeks per unit.

Unit 1- This unit will focus on business communication strategies basics, creating a personal blog page in which you will be connecting with peers and submitting your work assignments.

Unit 2- Submit a professional letter proposal to your writing team, with the intentions of joining a writing team. Peer review your report proposals. Begin the process of creating a social networking strategy, a Linked-In profile, and building your online resume.

Unit 3- Drafting a formal outline and submitting it to your writing team for feedback. Work on revising and re-drafting the formal report. Accessing the UBC’s Career Services website to find a career-related job advertisement or volunteer opportunity, design and write a full job application package for posting on Linked-in.

Unit 4- This unit completes the series of assignments and ties everything together. The final re-write of the formal report and completing your application assignments.

Student Expectations:

I hope to gain insights and knowledge throughout the course, with the hope that it will greatly enhance my technical communication abilities. I look forward to improving my resume package, and to create a social networking strategy that will support my employment search in the future as I advance in my career. I also hope to connect with other professionals so that we can work together towards common goals throughout the course.