Bio

Hello everyone!

My name is Terry Chou, and I am currently in my first year of the BCS program, a second-degree program in Computer Science. I hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Food, Nutrition, and Health from the University of British Columbia (UBC) and have worked with Community Living British Columbia to help people with special needs. This experience has revealed to me that technological advances in vulnerable populations have not caught up to the technological transformation the society has experienced. My curiosity in information technology and the need for technological innovation in disadvantaged groups motivated me to seek a second degree in computer science to facilitate a more efficient and technology-enabled future for those who need it most.

I have always had a keen interest in computers and started exploring it by taking Computer Science (CPSC) courses at UBC as a non-degree student. The course that inspired me the most was CPSC 110, where I learned programming fundamentals and designed relatively complicated functions by the end of the term. This learning experience encouraged me to become a Teaching Assistant (TA) at UBC to give back to the computer science community and help future students succeed. This term marks my fourth time TAing CPSC 110, and it is the most satisfying feeling to see students smile when I guide them through challenging but rewarding program design problems.

UBC’s BCS program is a great opportunity for me to explore my academic interests by attaining a formal computing education and fulfill my professional interest in becoming a software engineer. My goal is to become a software engineer who can make a difference and say that the work I do changes the world, and my job defines the world of tomorrow.