Linking Assignment #5

Task 7: Mode-bending

The production value of Esther’s Mode-bending task was very impressive! The method of describing the contents of her bag by allowing the audience to follow along with her typical day created an entire additional layer to the amount of information being conveyed through her audio creation. As I listened, it felt like I was experiencing the day and activities through Esther’s mind and point of view and because of this I became sympathetic to the level of responsibilities she had and also relatable as I also have children and carried around my own diaper bag when they were younger.

Esther and I both chose an audio format for this task but a major difference was perspective.  I chose the perspective of the actual items while Esther chose the perspective of herself. The sound effects that Ester included also added to the text and made it feel more environmental as if I were there listening with my eyes closed in the passenger seat beside her.

I would agree that listening to audio text can create visuals in our mind and they can also help us recall our own past experiences and memory. The sound of the car starting and the child sleeping all brought back my own memories and created a level of nostalgia in regards to raising young infants. This sort of recollection makes me think about smells, touching, and tastes that can also create similar feelings and think they can also be considered experiential texts. For example, back in the 1950s, it became a trend to have 3D movies where the images appeared around you, smell-o-vision where the theatre would be filled with smells, and mechanical chairs that would poke the audience while watching a suspenseful film.

Comment Form is loading comments…