Mode-bending

Task

Create a new and unique way of delivering the content of the “What’s in my bag?” assignment in audio format.

To change up the delivery of the “What’s in your bag?” activity, I reworked it as a late-night talk show where I was the host and the items (and my backpack itself) were the guests. The mode of delivery was auditory so I tried to add several elements to enhance the experience such as character voices for the different objects, music, and sound effects.

Mode-bending Attempt

Reflection

Taking something visual and redesigning it into an audio format was not an easy task. It took a while for me to come up with a way to deliver the content without just listing the contents of my bag. There was also the goal of having the format be entertaining as well as informative. My redesign process was all about changing the perspective from myself to the objects. In reference to The New London Group (1996), my final work was multimodal with linguistic and audio design.   Each item had its own personality and by “becoming” each item I really became brutally honest with their purpose. For example, the waterbottle commenting on not drinking enough water was a subconscious thought I often have at the end of the day. This process reminded me of the Voice to Text assignment where I also noticed that speaking instead of writing can have an effect on the delivery of the message. There was also the two books that commented that I had not really read them fully, yet still carried them around on my back (since completing the initial “What’s in your bag?” activity, I took out many of these items as I realized the lack of purpose in carrying them around with me every day).

Reference

The New London Group.  (1996). A pedagogy of multiliteracies: Designing social futures. (Links to an external site.)  Harvard Educational Review 66(1), 60-92.

Comment Form is loading comments…