Posted by: | 3rd Nov, 2011

Blog 9 – A Consumer ≠ A Shopper (Response on External Blog)

In the business blog “What’s the difference between a consumer and a shopper?” by Jeff Beer, he blogs about an interview with Marcus Evans, a managing director of Integer Canada, on Evans’ opinions on the marketing industry. According to Evans, a consumer buys a product without knowing why, and a shopper buys a product with incentives such as ads or prices. Reading this blog, I was baffled and at the same time questioned some of his logic.

What I found surprising was the number of advertisements we come across every day. According to Jeff Beer, “Thousands upon thousands of marketing messages slap our eyeballs all day, every day and, accordingly, we’ve become pretty good at ignoring them.” I didn’t believe it so I did a little research and most sources say we come across about 5000 advertisements a day – that is about one every 18 seconds. However, there were things that I disagreed on.

I disagree with Evans that consumers and shoppers are different, because there are hundreds of different definitions of what a consumer is. In my opinion, consumers/shoppers are motivated not only by ads and price, but also cultural biases.

Consumer/Shopper

WORD COUNT: 192/200

Leave a response

Your response: