Posted by: | 20th Nov, 2011

Blog 13 – Little Big Marketing! (Personal Blog)

Barcodes are optical machine-readable representations of data, which are mostly known to be used in stores. The first scanning of a barcode was in June 1974 for the purchase of a pack of Wrigley Company chewing gum, and now it is essential for thousands of products in a store to have barcodes. However, barcodes never crossed my mind until I picked up a Milkis from a T&T Supermarket.

What made this soft drink stand out compared to thousands of others? It was because it had a unique barcode, which was designed by a Japanese company known as Design Barcode Inc. Yes, you could always depend on the Japanese to make the littlest mundane thing into something interesting enough to make customers smile. In my opinion, the point of marketing is to sell a certain product and make it stick in the minds of consumers. This is an excellent little big marketing strategy, because consumers will remember products according to their unique barcode. You may not notice it, but barcodes could be a form of advertisement. This may even make consumers want to go hunting for a collection of these. I guess some big ideas are small!

Creative Barcodes
Creative Barcodes

WORD COUNT: 196/200

Leave a response

Your response: