Student Profile!

Due to hugely popular demand, I’m going to try and feature other Mech students and see what they have to say about their student experience. First up is Keir Maguire:

I’m a 5th year student working on finishing 3rd year Mechanical Engineering in the Mechatronics Option. I did a year of Science before I switched into Engineering, because I wanted to gain more applicable and practical knowledge. The Mechanical Engineering Department, although not flawless, is a great environment to pursue your interests both in class, tutorials, and labs, and through extra-curricular pursuits. Many professors and TA’s are very interested in their student’s success and growth. The mechatronics option is especially interesting for the cross-discipline focus and the smaller classes.

I am also involved in Formula UBC, which is one of the best engineering teams, recognized across campus and industry, both locally and internationally. I have taken part in MEMS research, both as a research assistant and through additional projects, and the exposure to the people and research throughout Applied Science gave me confidence that I was pursuing a worthwhile degree. As well, being a Mechanical Engineering student has allowed me to do an internship in Germany for a summer and I hope to return there and to other countries to further my professional development while exploring the world.