Monthly Archives: December 2011

End of My Second Co-op!

As Christmas break comes closer, so does my last day working at Evasc. I have thoroughly enjoyed the past 4-months working there with a lot of former UBC Mechs. Some of my tasks included:

• Writing protocols and test methods for testing of products
  • Designing test jigs
  • Helping with manufacturing
  • Receiving and ordering parts

One of the aspects of the job and biomedical industry I have found interesting is the added problem solving needed to deal with the factors that are put into place due to the nature of the products. If something is going into your body, you want it to be compatible with your body and really really clean, right? Radioactive dirt does not sound all that appetizing. This adds another variable into the design of the products. For example, you may have to keep the device very small so it can be delivered into the body yet the right size to serve its purpose successfully. In this particular instance, really cool materials come into play!

This co-op job has also allowed me to use things I learned in Mech2! It is always exciting to know that material you learn is applicable to the “real” world. Particular things that come to mind are Apsci 201 I did a LOT of technical writing, Mech220 Machining, 3D modeling (if you have the opportunity or time…learn it! Whether it is through a student team or over christmas break. Maybe a Solidworks model of your Christmas tree or potential snow fort…?), and Materials to name a few.

As Mech2 Part 1 draws to a close for some of you, CONGRATS! Technically, you are almost halfway done. However, I would say Part 1 & 2 are hardly equivalent. I will be recalling some things that helped me survive in hopes that remembering my studying methods will help ease me back into school after being off for 8 months!

Good luck with finals and have a great Christmas Break!

Featuring my new knee brace in the background.

Everyone gets into the spirit this time of year!