Linking Assignments

Linking Assignment #1

For my first linking assignment, I chose to explore Winnie’s Task 5- Twine: Personality Test. I was initially drawn to this specific task, as I thoroughly enjoyed working with Twine, and saw great potential in using the program in my own classroom. Because I’m new to the Twine software, I wanted to explore how my classmates used it, as the possibilities are quite vast.

Winnie’s concept of using the software to create a personality test was very creative and could be an effective way to collect information in a fun and engaging manner. Although both our games included story based narratives, our approaches differed in their fundamental concepts. Winnie’s game had an emphasis on data collection, whereas my game is based more on telling a story, and informing the player about a culture. I think Winnie’s idea to use Twine for a “mental health check-in”, would be an unintimidating platform to discuss a very serious issue students are currently facing.

Winnie’s reflection discusses Bolter’s (2001) metaphor of creating the dynamic for the reader of being a traveler through hypertext. With the shift to personalized learning and universal design theories in the classroom, it is vital that students are given choices. Research studies such as Seok et al., (2018), show that a one size fits all approach is ineffective to a large percentage of students, so programs that allow for options and customized directions should be implemented into the education system, in order to promote inclusion and accessibility.

Reference:

Bolter, J.D. (2001). Writing Space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print. Mahway, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, pp. 77-98.

Seok, S., DaCosta, B., & Hodges, R. (2018). A systematic review of empirically based Universal Design for Learning: Implementation and effectiveness of Universal Design in education for students with and without disabilities at the postsecondary level. Open Journal of Social Sciences, 06(05), 171–189. https://doi.org/10.4236/jss.2018.65014

Linking Assignment #2

For this linking assignment, I chose to explore and connect with Junel’s Emoji Story Task. Within my own graphics classes, I often use deciphering pictogram challenges as an icebreaker to introduce vector graphics. The activity is not only fun and inclusive, but it also allows students to understand the power of using simple images to depict complex stories or ideas. Naturally, reversing the situation, I wanted to take on the challenge myself and attempt to decipher Junel’s entry. After trying to solve several of my colleagues’ emoji stories, I selected Junel’s entry, not only because I was actually able to solve it, but because of the clarity and precision she was able to achieve through the emojis. As Junel states, “In order to write non-orthographically, I relied on ideas and words to communicate”. I think the film depicted in Junel’s post is Jurassic Park. I have not seen the film for over 10 years, but reading Junel’s emoji story conjured the memories I had of the movie’s most memorable scenes. Using a film as visually saturated as Jurassic Park, made reading the emoji story version quite enjoyable.

When reading Junel’s reflection, she found it challenging “navigating through all the emojis” to make the accurate selection. I found this curious, as in my own process, I already knew which emojis to use, it was just a matter of organizing them in an understandable manner. I’m not necessarily proud of this, as it likely means I use emojis way too much in my daily communications and am overly versed in the emoji alphabet. Perhaps the difficultly Junel experienced, was due to the amazing amount of imagery that is included in a blockbuster film such as Jurassic Park.

Examples of picto-gram Icebreakers I use in my class:

Sporcle- Food Pictograms
Kahoot- Animated Films in Emojis

Linking Assignment #3

I was excited for the opportunity to explore some of the results my colleagues created for the mode-bending task, as I think I might have misunderstood the initial assignment, or just took my idea a little too far. The linking assignment I chose to discuss is Joseph’s podcast. Joseph was able to present visualizations of his What’s In Your Bag task through audio components and sound effects. As said by another of our colleagues on the page’s comment section, I was fascinated how the sound effects conjured my own memories, particularly the old computer startup sound effects. The Windows XP startup takes me back to my mom’s kitchen, where our family desktop computer was located. It’s amazing the sound is already over 20 years old.

On a side note, I can definitely relate to Joseph’s storing techniques for the old notices printed on brightly coloured paper. I do the exact same thing, and yes, my own old notices made an appearance in my What’s in Your Bag task. I recall having a conversation with a Vice-Principal who was attempting to print similar notices, but could not locate the neon pink paper. I recall saying something along the lines of, brightly coloured paper subconsciously signals to teacher’s brains to “disregard and store away for a later date”. My joke was not well received.

Linking Assignment #4

After completing my previous linking assignment on another mode-bending task, I stumbled on Jane Wu’s Genially Interactive What’s in Your Bag project. This is great! I had never heard of the software, and I’m excited to explore it for some of my own projects. Being able to incorporate digital doodles, audio components and graphic elements into your image, truly embraces the concept of a multimodal design. Personally, I enjoyed and engaged with your project. As an educator, I often use myself as a gauge, so if resources are captivating to me, then they will likely be for my student’s as well, hence why I am so excited to attempt to implement this software into my own courses. I had an idea to have students create interactive maps of Vancouver, including places that are significant to them. Genially seems like an ideal platform for this activity.

Also, thank you for sharing the film name “Most Likely To Succeed”, I’m planning to introduce some film studies into my courses, and this seems like an ideal candidate.

Linking Assignment #5

I enjoyed exploring some of the effects created through the Potato Print project. I’m honestly a little jealous, as I chose the Manual Scripts option. Specifically, Katie’s Potato print of Daisy caught my attention. I’ve met Daisy via Zoom, and appreciate the opportunity to discuss Daisy’s rainbow potato print. I think some really interesting points are made in Katie’s reflection. Firstly, the discussion of style, and creating a consistent aesthetic to the letters you created. I think Katie was very successful at achieving this quality. Letters definitely have a particular style. In contrast to this, one current trend that’s very popular is the anti-design movement. This is a style that purposely breaks the rules of the elements and principles of design. For instance, conventionally, fonts usually include letters of similar sizes, but anti-design breaks the conventions of size, scale, alignment, and kerning. A focus on the imperfections. I kind of dig it. Perhaps it is an acknowledgement of the fact that we are not machines.

Another great point you make is about, “What is lost in efficiency”. So much of our society is solely focused on the outcomes and disregards the process. The act of me sitting at my computer, typing out a document is, to me, far less interesting than someone carving the letters out of a material, or handwriting the letters with a quill. I can relate this to working as an artist (painter), seeing printed paintings just makes me cringe, so much is lost in this mass production of art, and kind of defeats the purpose of painting in the first place. 

Please find below a trailer for a documentary about the font Helvetica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkoX0pEwSCw

Linking Assignment #6

For my final linking assignment, I wanted to explore some of my colleagues’ responses to Golden Record Curation, in particular, Agnes reflection. I found that the following task (Task 9), Networking using the quiz data provided great quantitative data, but was lacking in the qualitative motives behind my colleagues selections for Task 8. I thoroughly enjoyed Agnes’s in depth analysis of her reasoning for selecting each song.

Much like myself, Agnes seemed to approach the assignment on a personal level, selecting songs she liked the most and felt a personal connection with. After listening to the Twenty Thousand Hertz podcast, I think both of our perspectives changed. Shifting from the “Personal to the Universal”. How to best create the soundtrack for the human species rather than ourselves. I noticed that Agnes also grew more conscious of who would be receiving the package, and what their abilities would be. She mentions, “At first, I assumed they would have our intelligence or higher.” I think there is a general conception in our society that aliens will be these hyper advanced creatures, but in fact, there is a good chance that they are less evolved than human beings.

I appreciated Agnes’s motivation to present humans’ connection to the planet we live on. Explaining the importance of  “songs about elements of nature and human connection on earth”. Great choices! I would likely revise some of my selections after reading through the thoughtful reasoning behind Agnes’ selections.