Task 05: Twine task

Please find my Twine in the link below:

All City (A Graffiti Artist’s Mission).html

When first considering this task, I considered creating a story which reflected my daily activities, such as a choose your own adventure game surrounding parenting, or a game based on the subject I teach, the journey to becoming a digital artist, but after playing “​​The temple of No”, I was inspired to create something a little more engaging and exciting. All City (A Graffiti Artist’s Mission) is a semi-autobiographical game loosely based on some experiences I had in my younger years. I often found that the activity of writing graffiti was somewhat reflective of a game. The initial act of creating an alter ego through a chosen word and a style is much like selecting an avatar at the start of a game. Graffiti provides you the opportunity to take on a persona that your physical appearance may not necessarily reflect.

Having some experience in computer programming, I thought the best way to tackle this challenge was to plan the story using a hand drawn flowchart. Considering the multiple options and various paths the player can follow, the process included a lot of writing and revising. Much like Bolter (2001) states, “the two technologies, print and electronic writing, still need each other.” Prior to starting any digital projects, I start with a pen and paper. Thumbnail sketches, notes, underlining words and drawing shapes outlining my Twine game were vital to my creative process. This hand written interpretation of the game allowed me to build ideas and have fun while staying focused on the general framework.

Thanks to numerous tutorials on youtube, learning the basics of the software was quite easy. I look forward to learning more about the Twine software and adding more multimedia components into my game. 

Bolter, Jay David. (2001). Writing space: computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print. New York, NY: Routledge.