Embracing a Fifth-Year

Embracing a Fifth-Year

Ten years ago, being a 5th year at a university probably marked you as unserious about your studies, a college-lifer, or someone who spent most of their degree sleeping, switching majors, partying – or all of the above.   But times have certainly changed folks: Five is the new four!  The connotations of being a fifth year university student have shifted now along the lines of being involved and “taking advantage of your time at university”.   On the other hand, a fourth year student has become this over-hardworking student that is assumed to have taken classes every summer, or simply a miraculous superhero.

I, myself, was pretty saddened when I discovered I would be doing a fifth year.  I realized this in my second year, but with every year since then, I have seen more and more the silver-lining on this “cloud”.  I have discovered the exciting side to one more year at UBC, and eased the burden in trying to fit all my interests into my university experience.   All those traditions I have been putting off because of busyness are gradually being completed: Storm the Wall, Day of Longboat, SLC, Vagina Monologues, etc.  UBC is too big of a campus to accomplish everything in 4 years, or even 5, 6, 7 years alike, but another year sure does lighten the load! 

I would like to address any students that are feeling down about a prospective fifth year, here are some gentle reminders: a) You’re not an unproductive, college-lifer student. b) It’s a blessing in disguise really.  c) The more time you spend wishing you weren’t finishing in five years, the less time you’ll have to enjoy and explore all the possibilities that only another year’s worth of time can bring!

Besides, the real world can definitely wait another year.  No rush needed.