Plan for the worst, hope for the best

by Tyler Harbottle ~ September 24th, 2010. Filed under: Cambie Corridor.

An emergency preparedness workshop was held at the Marpole-Oakridge Community Centre Wednesday, drawing an audience of only two people.

Robert Trowhill, a volunteer with the Neighbourhood Emergency Preparedness Program, set and organized tables and chairs for ten guests.  “If we had had a 7.0 in Afghanistan or something, the room would have been full,” said Trowhill, “otherwise it goes on the back-burner because it might not happen for 200 years.”

Two attendees eventually found their seats.  “This is the earthquake one,” one woman queried.

“My name is Robert, I’m a volunteer with the city of Vancouver,” said Trowhill as he fiddled with the overhead projector and began his presentation.

The program is governed by the city’s Office of Emergency Management.   This particular class was one of six such workshops taught several times per month in community centres around Vancouver.

The woman in attendance furiously scribbled notes as Trowhill delivered his presentation.  She was hanging on his every word.

Trowhill volunteers his time for the program, as well as with Vancouver Emergency Social Services and the Vancouver Emergency Community Telecommunications Organization.  “I decided some time ago that the citizens of vancouver live in a high risk zone, which everyone knows, and that it was important for me to help them understand some of the small things they can do to prepare for a high risk event,” said Trowhill.

He is the picture of preparedness.  Clad in a long, yellow and black raincoat, its pockets filled with items one would not ordinarily expect to find in a coat pocket.  One bottle of water, one can of diet cola, one LED headlamp, a small baggie containing an assortment of crayons and a small card containing a list of out-of-area emergency contacts, were amongst the treasures in Trowhill’s coat.  It was, in a manner, an emergency “grab and go” kit, of the type that this program urges people to assemble for themselves.

The city, according to Trowhill, is well-prepared for any pending disasters in comparison to other Canadian cities.  “I think Vancouver is in one of the higher risk zones in canada for disasters and I think the city understands that and is taking steps.”

“Stuff happens, expect the worst, plan for the worst and hope it doesn’t happen.  There’s nothing like having a plan B,” said Trowhill.