A Revolutionary Generation You Say?… It’s Time to Re-Meet Average Joe

by tierneyrocky ~ September 18th, 2012. Filed under: Uncategorized.

When discussing the psychological side of online searches, the subject of consumer behavior appears to be forever changing, even faster than our textbooks can keep up with. But is it really changing?

One blog that caught my attention was from Brian Solis in his reference to “Generation C”. (Refer to Brian Solis’ Blog) In one post he associates Generation C not to the Millenial, (those who were born after Facebook and tablets became a way of life, and who can’t fathom a world without them) but to those that live and breathe online searches. He describes them by saying:  “They’re always on. They rely on the shared experiences of strangers to guide their actions.” According to him, this is the group of people that will dictate the future of how marketers reach, advertise, and connect with consumers.

Right now, the social norm is to have a Facebook account, Twitter account, perhaps a Pinterest or Yelp account, and maybe a blog. But for the everyday majority, our social media existence does not reach far beyond these platforms. What Brian explains is how this norm is going to advance. The way I picture his idea is like this: more of us will become more like the one or two friends we deem to be “tech-savy” because they use online customer reviews for what seems like every purchase they make, and they enjoy posting their opinion about products or services they’ve used in the past. He goes on to say that as long as a company is not too reactionary, but instead is pro-active in planning future marketing tactics, then this new and improved majority will create a great opportunity. As Brian reminds them: “You’re not competing as much for the present as you are for the future”.

Although I find the concept of Generation C interesting, and I agree that online trends are constantly changing and improving, to me, this type of person will not become quite as widespread and prevalent as he discusses. I think technology will continue to evolve, but the everyday person will not. The average Joe will remain uneducated. Joe does not search for the best downloading torrent site. Joe does not search for online forums that discuss improvements for the latest version of computer programs. These topics are over Average Joe’s grasp, and will only continue to be as technologies advance. Indeed many people still don’t know how to properly write search parameters (like putting a + in front of the most important key word) and think that writing a full sentence into the search bar will get them the most accurate results. I think the majority will continue to be made of those who remain ignorant about the possibilities of the online world, simply because they only go online to download music, or find an essay topic, or shop for clothes, or fix their printer, or pick a nearby restaurant– and that’s it. They use it for rather menial tasks, and they do not use it as a channel for communicating their opinions or finding advice.

The Internet will not become a tool that everyone uses to make every decision. Society will remain dominated by those who do not actively participate in the online community, and who trust few, preferring to take recommendations from the word of mouth of friends instead of strangers identified only by an online username.