RE: Web-Video Advertising

In response to Shawn’s blog, I agree that those ads that are played before a video are rather irritating and irrelevant to the video I am watching most of the times. Not to mention, the ads are extremely repetitive for someone that is an active online video watcher. Who wants to watch a Maybelline  mascara commercial when you’re just trying to see the new trailer for a new movie that’s coming out soon?

However, I do think that Web-Video Advertising is good for companies in such a way that they can reach out to a great audience. Sites like Youtube are growing communities. It has come to a point that successful youtubers with many subscribers can earn great amounts of money through their videos. It would make sense that companies want their ads to appear on wildly popular videos. I believe web-video advertising would be more effective if the advertisement before the video was actually relevant to the type of video that follows. Wouldn’t a company want their advertisement to reach the target market of their product?

I recall a time before youtube placed advertisements before their videos. However, I do understand the rationality of web-video advertising, as inconvenient it may be to the viewer.