KaBOOM!

The topic of social entrepreneurship really interested me when it was brought up  in class. I suppose I never fully understood the concept of it until this year. It’s amazing how people are able to create a social impact while still making profits using their business skills.

While searching online for information regarding social entrepreneurship, I came across Darell Hammond, the founder and CEO of KaBOOM! Hammond was 24 when he read an article in the Washington Post about two children that had no place to play and suffocated playing inside of a car. Inspired, Hammond then became determined to have playgrounds accessible to every child in the United States so a situation like that would never arise again.  The organization, KaBOOM!, then came to be and has built over 2000 playgrounds since it became officially founded in 1996.

This story was inspiring to me because someone at such a young age was so determined to make a positive impact on society. Hammond discovered an issue and made the effort to do something to resolve it. I really look up to those that are not only concerned with money, but with making positive returns to society as well.