Monthly Archives: September 2009

3 days of field work in Bwaise (one of the largest slum areas in Kampala) life changing? a bit career changing? more like solidifying We held a focus group with youth who are school dropouts, the hopelessness in their eyes about their situation on one hand, and the beautiful smiles when talking about their interests and dreams on the other…what a contrast…what an inspiration…what a cause to work for… at the same time, I knew the passion would die down…soon

Quote from one of my Ugandan professors: “People always ask me why Ugandans/Africans do not accept homosexuals. Well I ask why do you not accept polygamous marriages?” flip everything on it’s head and new perceptions come out. people in power (i.e. us in the West) define most of the world views. my answer? if polygamous marriages are gender equal (i.e. a woman can have many husbands), then why not?

Living expenses in Kampala

Living expenses in Kampala in Ugandan Shillings exchange rate: about 1 USD to 2050 Ugandan Shillings by the way, there is no way anybody is willing to exchange Canadian dollars here… rent in bwaise: 20,000 per month school fees (public): 60,000 to 80,000 per term (3 months, 3 terms per year) renting a boda boda: 10,000 per day, 70,000 per week renting a private hire taxi: 30,000 (old) to 60,000/70,000 (new) minimum wage: 60,000 per month, 2000 per day sex […]

Kampala Riots

<!– @page { size: 21.59cm 27.94cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } –> Gunshots. Buring tyres. Angry mobs. Riots have been consuming Kampala for the last three days. It was surreal to go through town on our school bus and see people pointing and shouting at us in such an unfriendly way. When one classmate took out her camera, the crowd on the opposite side of the road got aggitated. Our teacher immediately shouted, with a new note […]

List of Ugandan Topics I would like to write about

<!– @page { size: 21.59cm 27.94cm; margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } –> The Ugandan sorry Public transport: Matatus Public transport: Boda Boda Kampala pours (rain): banana leaves, plastic bags Electricity outages The Ugandan what Our daily food The hostel The mosquito nets The cold showers The Ugandan speech The fruits The Mzungus The taxi park “Cheena” The permanent African “tan” The malaria medicine: Lariam The lessons The roads African dancing crafts market Religion Atheist Rafting the Nile […]

“When asked if I am pessimistic or optimistic about the future, my answer is always the same: If you look at the science about what is happening on earth and aren’t pessimistic, you don’t understand data. But if you meet the people who are working to restore this earth and the lives of the poor, and you aren’t optimistic, you haven’t got a pulse. What I see everywhere in the world are ordinary people willing to confront despair, power, and […]