When I entered and when I am leaving

I recently came across a certain document that made me red in the face and nostalgic: my letter of intent when I applied to the Global Resource Systems program, my bachelors of science at UBC.

Red in the face because of all the big words and cheesy cliches I managed to stuff into this 500 word letter. Nostalgic because I recently had the honour of being student speaker at my graduation convocation, and I had to craft a very similar speech. For your amusement and enjoyment, I’m going to post both of these writings/speech. Also as a reminder for myself 5 years down the road.

Global Resource Systems letter of intent

(Please keep in mind that I was 19 years old when I wrote this letter. I’m being very brave even posting this online!)

Dear Selection Committee,

My name is Tiffany Tong and I am currently a Science One student. I am passionate about and devoted to contributing to the betterment of the world. I envision a global village that is truly peaceful, where not only is there peace between countries, but also peace within every beating heart. To achieve my goals, I believe we need to maintain a delicate balance amongst humans, animals, and the environment. Hence, we need to embrace true sustainability in every part of our lives. The Global Resource System program, with its emphasis on global citizenship, interdisciplinary learning, and sustainability, provides an excellent environment for me to learn the tools and skills to reach the starting path of my dreams.

I intend to specialize in urban planning for developing countries, especially the fastest growing economy in the world-China. I chose urban planning because it has a direct impact on the lives of the majority of the world population – city dwellers – and will be an essential foundation of rapid development. It is my firm belief that current cities are inflexible and segregating its inhabitants from the natural environment. Accordingly, I wish to learn how to plan and implement flexible cities which integrate all the elements of the local ecosystems, local culture, and the newest environmentally-friendly science and engineering technologies available.

My proudest achievements in extracurricular activities include co-founding and leading the Roots & Shoots club at my high school. We promoted harmony among all animals, humans, and the environment through organizing various projects such as the 30 Hour Famine, beach and highway clean ups, and animal adoption awareness. Also, I started the Aquatic Conservation Team in conjunction with the Vancouver Aquarium to raise awareness on storm drain pollution.

Recently, I initiated the Dollar Project, which is in the process of becoming an AMS club, with the goal to encourage every student and staff at UBC to donate a dollar per year to various charities. With 47,000 community members, our collective power and potential to invoke change is enormous.

Internationally, I was honoured to be the only Canadian panellist for the Japan Return Program, which organized a month long Japanese Summit that invited youth from all over the world in 2005 to gather and discuss issues under the theme “Love, Earth and Peace.” Discussions were held at various places, including EXPO 2005 in Aichi, Japan, and with Mr. Ishihara, the governor of Tokyo. From these experiences, I have learnt greatly about the world, the problems it is facing, and a global perspective into possible solutions. And most importantly, they have motivated me into devoting my life to help make a difference in the world.

I am confident that I will be an asset to the Global Resource System program, for I plan to acquire knowledge to fill my head and compassion to fill my heart. Please contact me if you would like any further information.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Tiffany Tong

My speech as student speaker at the Faculty of Land and Food Systems graduation convocation May 31st 2010:

(and a million hugs to my amazing friends who helped me edit this)

Thank you President Toope.

Good morning fellow graduates, honoured guests, and wonderful professors and staff.

It is a great honour for me to be standing here today.

But I hope you wouldn’t think of me as a representative of my fellow colleagues. How can one person represent such a diverse and interesting group of people?

When I first stumbled into this faculty in my second year, I thought it was a really strange place. We have farmers, economists, activists, nutritionists, laboratory scientists, community builders – as well as people like me who really don’t know if we could ever find a label – all in one place.

And you know what? Gradually, I’ve discovered that surprisingly, we all get along well. Marvellously well.

Now, my faculty is the place where I feel most at home. Half of me wishes that I could always smell Agora, or sit in the orchard garden, or visit the UBC Farm whenever I like. It’s amazing to see how well all of us – all so different from each other – can work together. And how three simple words, as cliché as they may be, connect us all: land, food, and community.

If I have to distil what I’ve learnt at UBC into a single fact, it would be the fact that we are all so interconnected in this world that we can’t afford to think in small categories. We can’t afford to think as I did when I first entered this faculty. And we definitely can’t afford to work alone.

This is why I’m so proud to be a graduate from this faculty and this university, both putting so much emphasis on collaboration between disciplines.

But I want to suggest that theories are not enough. After having the chance to receive a world-class education at UBC, we are now entrusted with the responsibility to shape this world with our actions. Not just words, but actions. We have been privileged with opportunity. Now, with graduation upon us, it is our time to act for those less privileged.

How should we do that? I really don’t have a concrete answer. (if anyone does, please call me ;) But let me share one of my favourite quotes from David Orr’s “What is Education for?”:

“The plain fact is that the planet does not need more “successful” people. But it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every shape and form. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the fight to make the world habitable and humane.”

Let us begin this journey today, on this traditional Musqueam territory devoted to learning, by giving a gift, together as the grad class of 2010, to the University of British Columbia.

• $10,000 to the AMS Bursary Programme
  • $10,000 to the UBC Alumni Association, for student directed programming on University Square
  • $5,000 to the UBC Learning Exchange

These are all worthy causes, but I hope we don’t stop here. Let us all join in the adventure towards making this world more habitable and more humane.

Finally, a heartfelt thank you to all who have helped us reach this extremely important moment in our life.

Once again, congratulations on graduating!!