I was chatting with my parents (after a long break) yesterday online. I mentioned that I had started looking at graduate studies scholarships because now’s the time to start applying if I want to be in school in 1 to 1.5 years.

I said that there’s no way I’m going to go to graduate school without a scholarship. I can’t afford the debt. Plus, if they don’t give me money, it means they aren’t interested enough in my contributions.

My parents laughed. “Shouldn’t education be for yourself? Shouldn’t you pay?”

But I’ve always had the opposite view. I know I have something valuable to contribute to which ever university I end up at. I’m fully involved in academics, in extra-curricular activities, and I bring a different perspective, from all that I’ve done in the past, to the student experience. If I have something valuable to contribute, shouldn’t the university be, at least, partially funding my studies?

I can learn just as much (although in a different way) by working. And I’m getting paid to work. Shouldn’t I get paid (at least a stipend for living costs) for getting an education?

Am I just turning logic on its head?

Comments