Decision

Today, I made a decision.

Recently I got a first round interview with an organization I’ve been idolizing for the last few years. I didn’t present myself as well as I could have and lost the opportunity. It was a great learning opportunity nonetheless.

On the other hand, it made me think that I really should choose and focus on one thing at a time. I’ve been flip flopping about whether I wanted to take another venture under my wing so soon. Should I do this part time while I job search? Should I treat this as plan B? Or should I go all in and try to make it work as a solopreneur? My energy is back. I have no obligations at the moment. When would be a better opportunity to make a drastic change than now?

So the decision: I’m going to work on launching and promoting internationaldevelopmentcareer.com for the next two months as my main job.

And if it goes well, the big vision:

I’d make the format into a broader brand that helps young people jump start careers they love, especially focused on the lack of information in the developing world. I think the problem with many current job training programs is two-fold: 1) they are not industry specific enough and 2) they tend to feature people who are too far along in their career. I imagine a podcast-type series in each sector that can be downloaded and shared. Young people can get insights and mentorship to prepare for the job market. Sectors can range from how to start a successful business growing high-value “modern” agriculture products to how to become the best customer service representative. The model would be to partner with young professionals who have successfully navigated a specific sector for the first 4-6 years of their career and produce content along the same model as my course.