Mixed Feelings: The Olympics

I was going to write my feelings about the Olympics before it started, but then I decided I would wait until the end so I would be better informed.

Here it is.

As many of my friends knew or sensed, I am not a big fan of the Olympics. Neither was I of the summer one in Beijing. Many asked why, and for the first time in my life, I truly felt it was hard to express my opinions. Trust me, I am not a stranger with talking about my strange views; what else would you expect from someone who is an animal rights believer, a non-believer of marriage, a radical (or so some of my friends say) environmentalist, and a staunch feminist? But of all those issues, I have never been dismissed in conversations as with the Olympics. The moment I merely hint that I’m not a fan, almost every single person would first give me a strange look and then steer the topic away. I did not even have to tell why I was not supportive, my reasons were already stereotyped and stamped on my forehead.

No, I’m not anti-sport.
No, I’m not (trying to be) a party pooper.
No, I’m not against welcoming the world to beautiful Vancouver.

I am, however, concerned about…

The overspending of government budget. We are now 6 billion (the budget only promised 2 billion) in debt because of one big party. Let’s not forget we are still in a recession.

The unwillingness of the government and organizers to listen to the voices of those marginalized. Promises were made, not kept.

The willingness of the government to spend money on silencing people rather than solving the actual problems. Isn’t it almost inhumane to spend so much on security while ignoring the poorest postal code in Canada (the downtown east side)? Is that the example we set for the world and is supposed to be proud of?

The way the world stops being concerned about news when the Olympics are in session. Winning medals are important, so are all the conflicts and poverty. I’m so glad I don’t have a TV, at least I can choose what I watch online.

How the nationalism brought about by sport does not seem to be the most friendly kind. I question if putting countries into categories of winning and losing actually promote international friendship. (Although my bias is that I don’t even really believe in having nationalism at all. I, for the life of me, cannot see why people believe their love for humanity should stop at arbitrary state lines drawn on a map)

Disrespect for the fact that we all live on unceded First Nations land.

When the Olympics went to Beijing, people around the world protested. In the West, protesters were seen as heroes who stood up against a giant dictatorship. This Olympics, anybody who has a different opinion is seen as a traitor to national pride. Food for thought?

I have changed a bit now that the Olympics are drawing to a close. I see how the city has come alive with an energy I have never felt before. I see how the world has literally focused their attention on Vancouver and Canada. I see how it is a common history that Canadians and Vancouverites share.

But I still question, was it worth the sacrifice we had to give?