Skip navigation

After reading Alexandra’s blog post about using sex/explicit advertisements to sell a good, I could not agree more. Alexandra used the example of a Calvin Klein advertisement where one women, who was topless, was being advanced on by three men. Does the sexual explicit content end just with this advertisement, magazine covers, or the internet? I think that these kind of explicit advertisements do reflect back on to society, if society thinks that being “sexy” is reflective of the advertisements of the clothes we wear it will drip down into other facets of our lives. For example, teens today see those ads and it may have affect on how proactive they are in terms of sex. Teenagers are naive and very susceptible to what they see in their favourite magazines or on the television show they are watching. Closer to home, for example, the string of sexual assaults on campus has been extremely disturbing but those events could also have been influenced by society. Society itself is what we make of it, and advertisements for clothes are in a way promoting this kind of behaviour in society. I know that is somewhat of a stretch but to a naive or deranged individual this could be a stepping stone for them to rationalize that society is promoting this kind of behaviour. Advertisements now a day are on the verge of turning in to extremely explicit ways to get someone to buy something. I agree completely with what Alexandra had said on her take of the image, and I hope marketers in the future start to tone things down a bit. I know that some of my ideas and thoughts are stretches to stay the least but I do think they have some role in what is happening to society in this day and age. What do you think?

Alexandra’s Blog

https://blogs.ubc.ca/alexmeisner/