Monthly Archives: October 2014

First Nation

When-will-First-Nations-leaders-ensure-that-Canada-is-accountable-for-First-Nations-money-Held-In-Trust

$8-billion Site C hydroelectric megaproject might be rejected because of the opposition from the First Nation. As B.C. is Indian land, First Nation people have the right to make a decision on how to use of the land.

For First Nation this megaproject is a threat; because of the dam operated by BC Hydro would flood Valley; therefore, destroy farmland and wildlife habitat. Moreover, it has a significant adverse effect on fishing opportunities which cannot be mitigated.”

For the company, the opposite from the First Nation is also a threat. As the political reason, the First Nation can reject BC Hydro’s megaproject, it leads the company can’t expend their business by operating a new dam. They will lose this opportunity to sell more hydroelectric to the consumer and occupy more market share. This external factor limited the development of the company.

The population is growing, people need more clean hydroelectric. Population as a social reason will increase the demand for goods, including hydroelectric; however the supply of BC Hydro still remains the same, this means BC Hydro can fulfill the market demand it will cause a shortage. It also have a bad influence on the consumer.

MEC inspire a rebrand Read

mec2013

The latest rebranding effort was provide by Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC), which includes a new logo, campaign and brand platform called “Outsiders.” MEC not only provide a comprehensible map for customers to navigate its sprawling selection of outdoor categories, but also has gone deeper than the product level, segmenting each activity in store with a set of motivations and aspirations.

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 7.53.31 PM

I have been to this store; it is a really good store. The store offers everything your heart desires outdoor, not only bicycles, but also: clothing, shoes, tents, backpacks, canoes, kayaks, all accessories to fishing articles, picnic and trekking articles, you can even find books in this store. The quality of all the products is great. It is not a thrift store, but the prices are reasonable. I never heard the advertising of this shop but I still know this shop and willing to go there again, so the product itself plays an important rule to attract consumers. If the product has a low quality, other factors like channels, customer relationship, revenue streams, key
 resources, key activities, key partnerships and cost structure will be useless.

http://strategyonline.ca/2013/09/19/mec-uses-consumer-motivations-to-inspire-a-rebrand/

Advertising

LG_LOGO1

LG is making a new brand called “It’s all possible” last year, and change the concept of its advertisement. The advertisement is not focussed on introducing the product, talk about tech anymore; instead, it gives consumers the idea how the product benefit consumers’ everyday life. LG prominent the benefits of using its products which consumers can get. Also, a more consistent brand experience across its marketing provides by LG due to communicate with customers.

In society’s current economic state, the competition within the electronics market is extremely fierce, generating profit in the financial market is exceptionally difficult, a new style of advertisement is a good way to attract people’s attention. We always watch advertising on TV, Internet, billboard, etc. But every time, I feel annoying when I see this advertising, especially, when I watch video online, the only idea in my mind is to skip this and quickly. The new advertising produces by LG really arose my attention, it use a softy way to introduce the benefit I can get from using LG’s TV, and let me feel I really need one. I think this advertising is successful.

Car-hire Company

David Dobrowolski, a Canadian, operates a car-hire company called Flash Vehicle Rentals in Sierra Leone. Sierra Leone is a terrible place for driving a car, because this place has no unleaded petrol available, no Toyota dealership, no recovery service, and this place is not safe due to the civil war. In such a harsh market environment, Flash Vehicle Rentals survival and make profit, David even make his business bigger and bigger. So here this a problem, what makes David success? The answer is the breakdown service, which Flash Vehicle Rentals offers. This service guarantees customers to get a new car when they broke their car, no matter where they are in Sierra Leone, no matter how many time they break their car. This is the reason why customers choose Flash Vehicle Rentals with a high price rather than company over another. It allows customers to feel at ease and solves a their problem.

I think this service is a part of value proposition. The price of renting a car is not expensive, and Flash Vehicle Rentals as a normal can’t earn super normal profit just renting cars. The breakdown service adds value of renting the car from Flash Vehicle Rentals. Consumers are more interested in this service than the car. Flash Vehicle Rentals knows the market well and produce the right services.

http://search.proquest.com/docview/1038621442#center

Environment friendly project

20141004_wbp506_473 Saskatchewan, a prairie province of Canada recently set up a coal-fired power plant which capture 1m tonnes of carbon dioxide a year. It has never been used on an existing power station at a commercial scale before. Some people think it is a “historic milestone on the path to a low-carbon future,” however; the technology’s high cost makes it limited, and impossible to spread to other parts of Canada, because it will take C$1.4 billion from taxpayers, and unlikely to see much of a financial return on their investment.

This in an environment friendly project, this kind of project always requires the high-tech as its back up, so the cost is relatively high. Just like Tesla, which has a higher price than normal car. I think we should support a project like this. We can’t just obtain the benefit at the expense of the environment. But in this case, the cost is prohibitive, and cannot get an acceptable financial return. It is true that SaskPower can recoup some of its investment by selling its byproducts, but the revenue is insignificant, compare with the fixed cost of this project. So without government support, no company is willing to set up this kind of plant, which needs high investment and gain low return.

http://www.economist.com/news/business-and-finance/21622238-although-saskatchewans-new-carbon-capture-facility-start-technology-still