Posted by: | 30th Oct, 2010

Music in Commercials

We haven’t covered the promotion part of marketing, but I’m curious to see how important the role of music plays. Some common forms of music in commercials I can recall are…

Jingles – short, a couple lines accompanied by a distinct melody; an example being McDonald’s I’m Lovin It

Product based Songs – a song dedicated to the product itself, it’s usually pretty original and catchy; an example with Coca Cola’s campaign

YouTube Preview Image

and lastly, through even an unrelated song – really acts as background music but can be used to communicate a “feel” to the product (ie. it’s fun, hip etc) ,  the choice of an appealing song could definitely let viewers see the product in a better light, my example of that would be Maynard

YouTube Preview Image

and another one I really like is Pepsi

YouTube Preview Image

It’s also pretty interesting to see how the above two examples were songs that (in my opinion) were kinda obscure prior to the commercial itself. So basically I first listened to them from the commercial itself, and decided to find out the song’s name/artist. In that sense, the artists themselves are benefiting  quite a bit with the exposure, it’s really a win-win for the product’s company and the artists/record label.

I’m sure there are many catchy songs from commercials you like, so feel free to respond/share them. I (and I’m sure a lot of my classmates) are big fans of music, so I’m hoping the course will have maybe a little section dedicated to it. I’d really like to see what kinds of frameworks they have for a typical “commercial” and to see if they’d include an area for music 😛

Leave a response

Your response: