Can’t Beet That!

Have you ever bought something at the grocery store, then when you got home realized you had absolutely no clue what to do with it? I bought some beets and they have been sitting in my fridge for eternity. Last night I decided I was going to cook them. I wasn’t sure how, but I was going to cook them and eat them and like it. It was just going to happen.

I began by bringing a (huge!) pot of salted water to the boil. I trimmed the stems off of my three beets, and placed them in the boiling water. Turn it down to medium heat and cover the pot. Now this is the time to put your laundry on, start that assignment you’ve been putting off, or go have a dance party in your room. It’ll probably take a solid forty minutes for them to cook. You basically just want them tender.

Um, so the water turns pinkish-red. Awesome! Your hands also turn pinkish-red when you peel them. Not so awesome. However, peeling them is super easy as the skin pretty much falls off in your hands.

Now you can have fun with them. I ended up making soup the first night.

Beet and Onion Soup

• 1 boiled beet, peeled and chopped
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1/4 cup of milk
  • 1/2 an onion

I had some leftover sautéed onion. Yum. Put that and the chopped beet in a blender. It helps if the beet is warm (it melts the butter! Also, then your soup is warm, and personally, I like my soup warm). Blend it as much as you can, and when it isn’t … blending anymore, add in the butter and milk. Blend until it is smooth. Pretty simple, right? Well the next recipe is even easier.

• 2 boiled, chopped beets
  • 2 tbsp white vinegar
  • sugar (to taste)

Throw those chopped beats in a jar, pour in the vinegar and sugar, and shake. Consume. See, simple? And surprisingly tasty. Definitely happening again. And again. Soup makes chemistry go down a little easier. And yes, I eat my soup from a mug.

Toodles!