Elections Insider Endorsements

Posted by: | January 24, 2007 | 32 Comments

Before our endorsements, a quick word. We offer these endorsements not to end our coverage of the elections, but to launch it. We have biases, and, to a reader of this blog, these should come as no surprise. So this is just a starting point. We’ll still post issues of the day, and this will still be a forum for discussion and debate, as it’s become. And we’ll still bring you the best information faster than any other site, so stay tuned!

These endorsements weren’t easy. They really weren’t. We spent hours meeting candidates (sometimes twice if we wanted to chat more) and getting a “feel” for them. We read their platforms over numerous times. And, as you’ll see below, our minds aren’t completely made up. But in fairness to the candidates, and in the interest of openness, now that our minds are made up, we proudly present our endorsements.

President: Jeff Friedrich
To us, we felt Jeff was a well-rounded candidate with tremendous experience. More importantly, he knows how to lobby, how to build relationships, and has a sharp mind for the politics of the job. He’s achieved a lot as VP Academic, and know he’ll continue that as President.

VP Academic: Brendon Goodmurphy
We didn’t know Brendon very well before this race, but a few qualities stood out. First, he’s a very good learner, and doesn’t pretend he knows more than he thinks. He has a good critical mind, and channels his frustration with the University in a very constructive manner. He’s thoughtful, insightful, passionate and intelligent, and will represent students well. Out of all the candidates in this election, we believe he is the most caring and passionate. We’re excited about what his energy will bring.

VP Administration: Sarah Naiman
First, we hold her opponent, Suvina To, in the highest regard. It was difficult to not support her, but we feel that the position needs fresh and energetic vision, and some vigour. Suvina brings tremendously insightful experience and skills, and we hope she stays involved with the AMS next year. When the VP Admin has been successful in the past it’s been because s/he had energy and a clear vision, both of which Sarah brings. The student life portfolio needs a shot in the arm, and Sarah in the VP Admin portfolio is the person to do it.

VP External: Joel Kozwarski/Matthew Naylor
Here, we’re split. Gina is endorsing Joel Kozwarski, Tim’s endorsing Matt Naylor.

Gina’s thoughts: I used three standards – knowledge, competence, and political stances. From the knowledge point of view only Joel and Matt qualified. Matt clearly knows the issues better. Both have credible track records/experience. My interactions with Naylor on council have been fairly limited – he was by no means outstanding or impressive at council meetings. There is a list of off-record statements (from him and people who have worked with him closely) which have made me doubt his ability to work with others (openness to other ideas), take criticism and make judgement calls in politically sensitive matters. Joel may not know the issues as in-depth as Naylor, but he will learn. Ian (outgoing) learned and did a good job, and it doesn’t hurt that he is also endorsing Joel. Joel is calm, rational, very thoughtful and a solid candidate. I have trust and faith in Joel K and thus am voting for him.

Tim’s had the advantage of reading Gina’s reasons above. The Liberal thing doesn’t matter – Gina had no problem campaigning with Holly Foxcroft when the latter was President of the Young Liberals, and there’s no evidence that it hurt her ability to lobby. So, why Naylor? He cares, knows a great deal, and is uniquely passionate. And you can learn policy – you can’t learn passion. People with Matt’s almost rabid enthusiasm are so rare and, when one offers their help, you’re foolish not to take it. He has a lot to learn, makes mistakes, and is young. But a good leader will learn how to make the most of Matt’s considerable talents and work with him. Look at his campaign organization? Wouldn’t you want that on your side?

VP Finance: Brittany Tyson
We agree that this is a portfolio in which experience counts, and building a rapport with the incumbent is a good thing. Brittany’s combination of experience and well-considered approach to reform should serve student well.

BoG: Darren Peets, Jeff Friedrich
Both these candidates have more experience on campus development and student representation issues than the others combined. And working together they’ll be a uniquely powerful force on the Board. For Jeff, it will make him a much stronger President (though the converse doesn’t necessarily apply.) And Darren has, through U-Town, learned to work well with administrators while still putting administrators on the spot like nobody’s business.

Senate*: Tariq Ahmed, Jaspreet Khangura
Yes, we’re endorsing the incumbents right now. Both have been excellent advocates for students this past year. Jaspreet in particular has brought her pass/fail initiative towards fruition, and deserves another year. We’re leaving our ballots open, though. We don’t know enough about the remaining Senate candidates, so will pass a final decision in the future. But we know and have seen enough of Tariq and Jaspreet to know that they will continue to do a good job on senate, especially given the slow bureaucracy that this particular body is known for.

Comments

32 Comments so far

1. Anon on January 25, 2007 12:32 am

You guys had almost the same choices as my tentative list.

To be honest, in several of the positions including BoG and X I felt there was a serious gulf between the my candidates and others, making choice easy. The Admin race I found too boring for words, and neither candidates impressed me with their rabid desire for a new SUB, while they remained clueless about the building’s potential for efficiency retrofitting, sustainability, and rennovation in general. Since a giant TV doesn’t interest me, I’m considering leaving this ballot blank.

Finance was the other point of difference. Peter Rizov seems to have as good credentials as he needs, and I like his emphasis on the political aspect of the job. Like he has pointed out, the operatonal aspects should be taken care of by permanaent staff, allowing a (perhaps) pruned down exec to do what they are elected to do instead of needing years of experience in the beurocracy or being on a constant learning curve. That siad, Tyson has some nice ideas too.

2. Anon on January 25, 2007 12:32 am

3. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 25, 2007 1:40 am

Anon,

It certainly wasn’t easy. Peter brings a lot as well, and we don’t mean to diminish what he has to offer. We considered the race very closely. He’d be very capable; we just preferred Brittany.

4. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 25, 2007 1:40 am

Anon,

5. Matthew Naylor on January 25, 2007 3:13 am

Dear Tim;

Thank you very much for your kind words – I am honored that you have chosen to endorse me.

Dear Gina;

I respect your decision, and while I disagree, I understand your concerns and will work, as a councilor, a candidate and potentially as an executive, to address them.

Regards;

Matthew Naylor

6. Matthew Naylor on January 25, 2007 3:13 am

Dear Tim;

Dear Gina;

Regards;

Matthew Naylor

7. maayan k on January 25, 2007 5:23 am

At the risk of revealing that I’m blind and stupid – is it possible to see your poll results?

8. maayan k on January 25, 2007 5:23 am

9. Sarah Naiman on January 25, 2007 5:27 am

Dear Anon,

I’m sorry that you found the Admin race “too boring for words” but I think that may be because the pieces of my platform that I presented at the debates are not meant for people in your position. Let me explain. The people who read this blog are mainly people who are already involved with the AMS and are therefore deeply engaged with the issues. The idea of a “giant TV” is for those students who we always complain are apathetic and have no connection to the AMS.

I see the position of Admin as one that pertains to student life – that is why the SUB, the “centre of student life” and the clubs, our direct link to the students, fall under this portfolio.

My idea of a video sharing device that can be viewed in the SUB is my solution to capturing the attention of the students who don’t care about the AMS – they are just looking for something to do between classes.

This is something new and exciting that is easily accessible to all students and it is feasable. It is feasible because I will work with the University’s upcoming “speakers corner” so they can oversee the videos that are uploaded to make sure they are not inappropriate. I think the University will be more than excited to work with us because it is not controversial and simply makes them look good.

On this screen, other than creative student videos, we will also show a calendar with all the events happening on campus. This will increase the visibility of the AMS and student events in general because it will be a full compilation of all student events that is easily accessible to students – it is right in their face.

If you would like to find out more about my platform and see my ideas that you, the overly informed voter, might appreciate I invite you to check it out. I have worked hard to mold my platform so it meets the needs of the larger student populaTION – that 90% that does not already vote. If it still does not meet your expectations I invite you to email me or visit me in office, should I get elected, and tell me what else you would like to see.

10. Sarah Naiman on January 25, 2007 5:27 am

Dear Anon,

11. Anon on January 25, 2007 6:13 am

I don’t think a video device thingy is a bad idea, but would simply expect that a candidate proposing to be responsible for a sprawling and decrepit building would have more of a clue on the front of sustainable (re)development. Student life is nice, but I think many will respond to the ecological responsibility pitch even more strongly.
    People have their own social lives; they look to the AMS for leadership about issues that will set the bar for the University itself and the community at large. I think this is one of those issues that demands leadership.
    Admittedly, I’m a ‘big ideas’ junkie. Computerized forms and video sharing just didn’t cut it.

12. Anon on January 25, 2007 6:13 am

13. Suvina on January 25, 2007 7:07 am

Hey Tim and Gina,

Thanks for your kind words. I certainly respect your decision, as what you saw during the debates was a lot from me regarding my SAC experience. That’s not to say that I didn’t have ideas about improving student life, though.

Have you had the chance to read the full details of my platform on my website? I noticed the other day that you didn’t have a link to it, although it was up on the AMS Elections site.

And Anon, how is an entirely new SUB not a “big idea”? I agree that the building has large renovation potential, but an expansion would still be necessary. Also, the new SUB would be a long-term goal, whereas I’ve noted many times that the SUB needs to be renewed and maintained in the meantime.

Respectfully,
    Suvina

14. Suvina on January 25, 2007 7:07 am

Hey Tim and Gina,

Respectfully,
    Suvina

15. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 25, 2007 7:19 am

Suvina,

Thanks for the note. As we may not have made clear, it’s less about ideas and more about a particular vision. And an energy. An intangible.

We think you’d be a very good VP Admin. And the readers here ought to know that. But we just had to make a choice, and did the best we could.

16. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 25, 2007 7:19 am

Suvina,

17. Anon on January 25, 2007 7:26 am

Respectfully, an entirely new SUB is the wrong big idea.

And for the record, I have no connection with the AMS whatsoever. Happily, Tim and Gina have a broader readership than AMS hacks. Who knew that regular students would care to read a nicely written political blog, or think about issues that effect them?

18. Anon on January 25, 2007 7:26 am

19. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 25, 2007 7:37 am

Anon 11:26 –

Thank you for the nice words.

But I’ll challenge you then… what is the right course of action for the SUB? Surely the status quo isn’t sufficient?

20. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 25, 2007 7:37 am

Anon 11:26 –

Thank you for the nice words.

21. Anon on January 25, 2007 8:30 am

A challenge!

first, I don’t pretend to be any type of expert; like I said before I’m a normal student with moderately mainstream (though considerably more verbosely expounded) priorities.

Like Suvina said, there’s the issue of rebuilding/expansion and the issue of maintenance and rennovation of the existing building. Some simple googling found a few decent places to start:

1. BC Hydro has cash incentive programs for both modernizing to higher efficiency bulbs, and for new buildings built to exceed code by a certain amount. http://www.bchydro.com/business/

2. Like Tim suggested in an earlier post, the AMS could do as Imagine did, and ask the sustainability office for an audit of the SUB’s operation. As much as we don’t like to admit it, the University’s sustainability pin-up girl might have some pointers.

3. Check if the SUB is eligable for UBC Renew money.

4. Find people who do what you want: there are alot of architecture, design, and contracting firms out there that have made it their buisness to build sustainably. I assume it takes alot of effort to find people you like and trust, but they probably exist.

5. Exploit the academics on campus. In the chemical and biological engineering department there are people actively researching alternative energy, waste water treatment, advanced materials, and so forth. The Structured Surface lab in Hennings is designing a natural light lamp which is super-cool. Maybe researchers could point to a good direction in looking for companies to do the work, or better yet, pilot their own work in our building.

That’s where I would start research. I have no particular masterplan in mind. Anything from more conspicuous compsoting, to large solar panels, down to changing the bulbs, up to high-eficiency solarium food production, a community garden, a water reclamation system, or all of the above could be looked at. Going for Leeds gold is, according to people I heard talk and then believed, totally within reach. Finding out what the SUB’s Kyoto ceiling would be [insert disparaging comment about Rona Ambrose’s hair], and going for (an arbitrary) 20% below that would be something students could connect with.

22. Anon on January 25, 2007 8:30 am

A challenge!

23. Gina Eom on January 25, 2007 8:32 am

Hey, thanks so much for that post Anon 12:30am!

That was really really awesome.

You should get involved with the AMS :D

24. Gina Eom on January 25, 2007 8:32 am

That was really really awesome.

You should get involved with the AMS :D

25. Anonymous on January 25, 2007 9:18 am

I wrote this while Anon 12:30am posted, so some of my points are now redundant. But, yes, point about the lightbulbs. And damn, that Structured Physics lab is cool. They do all sorts of lighting things, which UBC should only seek to exploit. :D

Although I’m not the Anon addressed, I’ll still stick in my two cents as a non-AMS-affiliated student. I couldn’t make up my mind after going to the VP Admin debate either, and I’ll explain why.

While it’s true that the status quo isn’t sufficient, a call for a new SUB seems excessive.

Minor renovations could yield great improvements (if home renovation shows can be trusted); more white paint in the basement level would contrast nicely with the red paint already in place, and would make the entire basement look less ‘dark and dingy’. I am sure the Fine Arts department would go crazy if you allowed them to paint over the current red ceiling area in front of the Honour Roll, or even paint over part of it so a white design covers part of the red, which is really what’s making the basement of the SUB feel so dark, I think. Low-energy daylight light bulbs could also make the area look bigger, and possibly save some energy. Personally, I’d rather see slight renovation of the current SUB instead of an initiative for a completely New SUB; the way it is right now seems quite functional, and perhaps a New SUB will be needed in the future, but with the current way that construction is carried out at UBC, I don’t see how this is practical.

I’m rather indifferent to the idea of a video-sharing initiative, except for concerns regarding its cost implications, and concerns about its sound pollution within the SUB, which is already an unpleasant place to be to study. I think, to a large degree, apathetic students will remain apathetic students; I’ve met people who have resisted the charms of UBC Numa Numa, and if that fails, I don’t know what else would win over the hearts of these mystical few who are a pathetic. Personally, I won’t use this service if it’s developed by UBC, as every UBC-developed website that I’ve encountered (WebCT, SSC, MyUBC, the AMS site, the http://www.ubc.ca site, etc.) was extremely convoluted, and took forever to learn to navigate.

I’m also concerned about the idea to plant trees on top of the SUB, unless Naiman means within the court already present on the rooftop? With our current wind storms as they are, it seems like soil+trees on top of SUB = more rain + soil + leaves in my hair. Also, I am concerned that the trees would be uprooted by the wind. Though, as I have stated, I am a first year arts student, and know as much about landscape architecture as my peers.

Finally, some more suggestions:
    Please have your platforms on the main page, as that’s most likely the only information that I’d be interested in reading any candidate page. Also, having only a photo and a weblink on an election poster really isn’t going to do much; I highly doubt that people would bother memorizing and copying down these links as they rush from class to class, and it’s tiring to always have to put in extra effort to learn about the elections; it feels like some candidates aren’t even running in an election at all, as they give me no reason to take interest in what they stand for. Yes, the posters all feature attractive, young intellectuals who smile winningly at me from their retina-burning posters, but I cannot help but feel a grudging sense of reluctance to find out more about these faces.

When dealing with ‘apathetic voters’, it’s hardly surprising that the turnout is so low.

26. Anonymous on January 25, 2007 9:18 am

Finally, some more suggestions:

27. anon 12:30 on January 26, 2007 5:05 am

Thanks Gina. Amazing what half an hour on google and a few leads can do.

28. anon 12:30 on January 26, 2007 5:05 am

29. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 9:35 pm

tim,

isn’t this like an elections insider slate?

30. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 9:35 pm

tim,

31. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 9:50 pm

re: sub

1) i don’t think a new SUB is necessarily a bad idea. i’m not a fan of the direction that campus development is taking, but the fact remains that the current SUB is a Corbusian/army bunker clusterfuck of deeply depressing proportions.

maybe it can be fixed, if all of the other anon’s suggestions were implemented with gusto.

my priorities (which would probably be easier to address by building a new sub, but what the fuck)

1) accessibility. imagine you were visually impaired and you had to get around the sub. or had to take the mechanically frightening elevator. or what about the lonely gender-neutral washrooms that you need a map to find.

2) even more than that is the darkness. the design is inappropriate for the climate. it’s dark, there’s poor air circulation. at least on the floor where most students are. the ams offices have windows. fuck, it’s heaven central on the 2nd floor. but most students DO NOT use the 2nd floor. we’re stuck in the dank dark 1st floor and basement, forced to choose between “the moon” and anorexia.

3) what about a sub made of glass? with a greenspace roof? with shower STALLS for bike riders and queers, and places to cook food (like a hostel) or computer terminals you don’t get a cramp at.

all this stuff is going up around campus that really has nothing to do with the average student, across the board. a new SUB would.

i’ll man the wrecking ball.

if there’s gonna be a cafe crepe on campus there might as well be a better sub.

and if the AMS wants involvement and won’t organize sit-ins outside of Home Sweet Toope then we might as well dream big about the only place at UBC that’s ours to hide in besides the library. i love koerner but you can’t really talk there.

32. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 9:50 pm

re: sub

i’ll man the wrecking ball.

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind