One of the things people most frequently mention about UBC Insiders is that the posts are often wordy, and lacking in sass. This should remediate both of those.

photos and comments behind the cut (warning, there’s lots!)

debates jan 17 2
Ubyssey staff Brandon Adams and Jesse Ferreras, huddling before the debates start. Or exchanging sweet nothings. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

debates jan 17 3
Michael Duncan secretly wishes that the Presidential election was, in fact, a big hair competition.

debates jan 17 4
confidential to DP: telling girls about the size of your hydrant is a bad idea.

debates jan 17 5
Che Allison’s Head of Police forcibly ejects AUS President Stephanie Ryan.
I support the intention and the action and hope to see Stephanie more frequently bodily removed from things.

debates jan 17 6
Mike hones his “monkey see, monkey do” skills as Erin promises to fight the War on Fun.

debates jan 17 7
There was a point being made here, but I’ve forgotten it. Also, it’s not a very good photo. I’m sorry.

debates jan 17 8
Maayan asks a question, as Shawn from Eat Cake erroneously thinks that he looks better in maroon.

debates jan 17 9
Brittany promised violence upon my person if I said anything mean about her, and I figure she’d be at least as thorough at that as she was as VPF…

debates jan 17 10
Brendon watches the debates as Jeff watches us. Because Jeff is watching us all.

debates jan 17 11
Paging Dr. Freud!

debates jan 17 12
I don’t want his lucky charms.

debates jan 17 13
Chris Diplock, throwing down fresh rhymes and phat beats during the VPF debate.

debates jan 17 14
Sarah Naiman watches the debates while enjoying a “baby roll”, one of the items on the Honor Roll’s secret menu. It’s made out of babies.

debates jan 17 15
Enraged at being caught in the act of eating a baby, Sarah goes after the wrong member of the media. Luckily, Brandon survived.

debates jan 17 16
Tough questions. Reasonably priced drinks. What more could you want in a debate?

debates jan 17 17
Stef Ratjen, VPX candidate that Jesse Ferreras has neatly disassembled.

debates jan 17 18
Freeman Poritz, VPX candidate that Jesse Ferreras has neatly disassembled.

debates jan 17 19
Some of the Senate candidates look away as Colin Simkus tries to serenade the moderator. Alex Lougheed is definitely taking mental notes.

debates jan 17 21
Being on the elections committee Listening to would-be senators read their resumes would also drive me to drinking. I hope Tariq comes out of this with an intact liver.

19 Comments so far

1. maayan kreitzman on January 20, 2008 4:39 am

What a post of awesomeness.
    Deo. God in Latin. Coincidence? I think not.

2. Blake on January 20, 2008 4:54 am

This is hilarious.

3. Alfie on January 20, 2008 5:20 am

LOL

4. Blake on January 20, 2008 5:24 am

Maayan, I’m anxious to see your endorsements. Post!

5. Jesse Ferreras on January 20, 2008 6:32 am

Thanks for the shout-outs Gerald!

6. Anonymous on January 20, 2008 9:34 am

more sass indeed.
    lets not get too overly excited
    we still have to wait for rodrigo’s essay on whatever he writes about

7. participatoryengagement on January 20, 2008 10:47 am

Why comment here? Seems alright, although it shows me in the famous ‘sandwich’ position… And following status quo, as predicted, no mention of my name… oh well, I seriously do not know what more to expect… I am glad it is all documented.
    BTW, refer to the latest comments and posts on my blog to learn about the LACK of transparency in which the previous exec has operated (with some scarce exceptions).

A supporter has just submitted an explanation to teach Mike that learning new concepts is as easy as going to grade school.

Also note that my ACF alternative, designed by UBC resident students engaged in UBC bands, has already received a request for funding and volunteers by a company that find the AMS Bands League project an excellent idea worthing of funding…

I wonder where free-gym will find funds – perhaps by taking it from childcare, as Mike seems to believe, by claiming that revenue cannot be generated with a school!!

What a talent for business, and what a tactful and sharp wit that he inspires us with! Let us all follow his example and propose pink cowboy hats as official UBC merchandise. Don’t we all want to be just like Mike and follow his perfect role-model behaviours??

-rodrigo

8. eatcake on January 20, 2008 11:25 am

I think actually at the point that photo was taken of me I was literally weighing the pros and cons of taking my own life versus listening to che pretend to be communist, or rodrigo pretend to be a serious candidate.

nice job guys ;)

9. Anonymous on January 20, 2008 12:20 pm

Pink cowboy hats would be pretty awesome, as far as official UBC merchandise goes. The standard grey hoodies with ‘UBC’ emblazoned on the front sold by the UBC Rip-Off bookstore get kind of boring; every other university has the exact same pattern, seriously.

Loving the photos and short snappy captions.

10. AD Holm on January 20, 2008 12:50 pm

My Sass is Sassier than your Sass. But only because I own a sassamaphone

11. leigh-anne on January 20, 2008 5:41 pm

This is great.

12. Gerald on January 20, 2008 6:51 pm

a) thanks for the kind words.
    b) I’m tempted to delete your comment, Rodrigo, as it barely addressed the post and went into a rather alarming rant against Mike Duncan. It is yet another comment of yours that, while removing the link to your blog, nonetheless regurgitates several platform points. Please stick to the topic at hand, and cease posting unrelated commentaries, or I will start to remove your comments. You’ve had several warnings from the other administrators, as well as requests from other readers to end posting in that style, and seeing as you’ve continued unabated, I don’t see any other recourse.
    For the record, I’ve known Mike for five years but haven’t collaborated on anything with him; I feel comfortable enough with our friendship to mock him publically and hope that he feels the same towards me. I don’t know you well enough to do the same, and suspect that even if I had put down a lighthearted caption, you’d have taken it personally.

13. Anonymous on January 20, 2008 7:58 pm

amazing photos G. Great Job!

14. tariq on January 20, 2008 8:43 pm

I’m on the elections committee? That’s news to me…but I do agree that I was driven to drink, however it was caused by the senate docket I was reading and listening to candidates reciting their resumes rather than directly answering questions. Great pics and great captions!

15. Gerald on January 20, 2008 9:00 pm

fixed!

16. rodrigo ferrari nunes on January 20, 2008 9:53 pm

Gerald, go ahead and erase it if you find it necessary. This is your blog after all, and if you think that my joke comment is such a menace, censor it at will!

Students should actually design their own UBC merchandise, in my view, so you’re allowed to wear any colour cowboy hat you wish, stamp UBC’s logo on it, and the embroidered face of your buddy.

I’ll try to be more euphemistic in the future so that no one cries.

(I actually posted that on the wrong thread, since I was still answering Mike’s remarks against childcare on another thread). My apologies.

thanks

-rodrigo

ps: Sorry, but there’s already a free-gym at UBC (whereas there’s 1500 UBC children in a 3 year plus line to get childcare).

ps(2): So I should not post comments using the WordPress sign in? Sorry about that.

17. Mike D on January 20, 2008 10:47 pm

Haha, great job Gerald,

And just for the record, you can make fun of me anytime.

I don’t really know what sparked that rant on me. I would be tempted to address the remarks if I could understand what Rodrigo was trying to say. I have never been against childcare. I guess I will leave it at that.

Cheers, Mike

18. Patrick on January 21, 2008 7:06 am

And yet the moderator (in all his good looks and charms) gets no props.

Gerald, Im disappointed.

Though now, I believe, is the point at which you say that it is because nobody loves me.

19. Gerald on January 22, 2008 3:44 am

mike d: consider yourself sassed at any and all times.

patrick: seriously, dude, you’re making this too easy.

PS: seeing as you’ve accepted that nobody loves you now, you should start realizing that nobody will love you forever.